pissing contests

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

pissing contests

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:11 am

Shortly after Hurricane Katrina, someone decide to enumerate upon what it meant to be poor and on the conditions that Katrina victims faced on a day by day basis before Katrina:

http://www.scalzi.com/whatever/003704.html

This sorta drew attacks from the conservative crowd. One in particular discussed what it meant to be "really poor" - as in third world country poor:

http://zigzackly.blogspot.com/2005/09/b ... -arse.html

I think this post summed the whole thing up quite nicely:

This is the most childish display "My poverty is worse than your poverty" I've ever heard. Have you solved poverty with your display of sensitivity? Have you helped those poor people get out of their mess? What's that? No? Then shut the fuck up, and go read a book in your air-conditioned room with computer, and spare the world your bullshit preaching, and talk about something you actually know about, instead of pulling other people down, just get yourself some kicks. Suffering is suffering, and just because somebody doesn't meet your definition of suffering doesn't make it any less real, or of less consquence. Why is just being poor a big deal? Is being HIV positive and rich a lot better? Is that less suffering? Should somebody who wrote about an HIV-positive person in the First-world be pulled down because somebody in the third-world is suffering worse? You are truly an awful human being.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Some Unreg Punk » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:33 am

so in the attempt to bring out out the members of this board to post more frequently your bringing what interests you from other boards to this board to see if you get an debate to rage here as well?

and uhm...people tend to be jackasses wherever you go. like this post for example.
Some Unreg Punk
Castle Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:00 am

Some Unreg Punk wrote:so in the attempt to bring out out the members of this board to post more frequently your bringing what interests you from other boards to this board to see if you get an debate to rage here as well?

Not really. I posted it because I liked what the post I quoted had to say, because it's not something I would have thought of, and because I thought others might enjoy it, too. This post was on a blog, though - not a message board. The rest of my post was just an attempt to to set the scene, so to speak.

As for whether or not it'd inspire debate... I don't really know what there is to debate. Like the post says, suffering is suffering. The fact that someone is suffering more doesn't change this fact. If anyone disagrees, I would be surprised. I might even learn something if there really is room for debate. Of course, I don't think there is room for debate, so I don't think I will learn anything new by posting this thread.

You say that people tend to be jackasses wherever you go and cite the previous post as an example. Are you refering to my post or the post I quoted? And in either case, why? Sure, there are plenty of curse words in the quoted post, but is it really all that difficult to see through them? If it's the ideas that make you think the persons a jack ass, then perhaps you could clarify. The main goal of my post is to convey the thought (in the same way that it was conveyed to me) that suffering is suffering, and just person B may be suffering more than person A doesn't mean that person A isn't suffering. Do you disagree with this?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Some Unreg Punk » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:42 pm

actually i was referring to myself...my post response.

i think the only reason you would try to put down people that are poor here by comparing them to poor people of other economies and saying they are not poor and stuff is because your trying to instigate a fight just for the sake of fighting. that is what i think makes the poster a jackass.
Some Unreg Punk
Castle Guard

Postby Exalted Ugu » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:17 am

I think it's sort of ideological self-defense. It's a way for people to say: "Look, the system isn't _that_ bad, you could be living in Sudan!" Basically, it's a red herring, a misdirection of an arguement.

-ugu
Exalted Ugu
Townfolk

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:31 am

actually i was referring to myself...my post response.

oh, heh.

I think it's sort of ideological self-defense. It's a way for people to say: "Look, the system isn't _that_ bad, you could be living in Sudan!" Basically, it's a red herring, a misdirection of an arguement.

-ugu

Hadn't thought of it that way, but yeah - I think it is.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to Twilight Zone