Your opionion on gays

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Your opionion on gays

Postby chaco taco91 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:17 pm

Whats ur opionion on gay sex/marriage?
I think its a free country, but please if your gay out there could u not run around saying it? its disgusting for one thing but to make ur own querr bowling teams called "great balls of fire" is really sick, go ahead and be gay but don't shove in people face and act like ur speacial or something
chaco taco91
Traveler

Postby ChatOmbre » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:33 pm

I don't care about what a person's sexual orientation is. I've got friends who are straight, gay, bi, lesbian, and trans. *shrugs* also, I think you should be able to marry whoever you want. and that you should be able to be married to more than one person. I think there should be different types of marriage (ie, a handfasting, a polygamus one, one between just two adults, a temporary one just meant for having children or something, etc.).

I don't understand why you have a problem with someone not hiding that they're gay. Does that mean that people should also not tell people that they're straight? and do you also think that there shouldn't be bowling teams that're just for people of a certain religion? :p
Queen of the PointyShiney

"Too much ink is drawn to describe and define love. Why describe it and define it? Take my hand and let's just take a ride through it. Love is... Love is... Let's just go for awhile, leaving ourselves for each other." --Mike Smith
ChatOmbre
Heroic Guard

Postby chaco taco91 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:50 pm

thats a good point, but religoun most of the time dosn't believe that the gays are ok, not to mention the gay thing is disgusting to me, but its a free country, and they have every right. Its ok to be one, but plz don't shove it an anyones face, and im glad u are proud of what u are, but that dosn't mean everyone else is proud of u being gay
chaco taco91
Traveler

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:57 pm

i agree. i don't think homosexuality should be shoved in anyone's face. likewise, i don't think heterosexuality should be shoved in anyone's faces, either, heh.

also, this topic will probably get a better discussion in the Twilight Zone, so...

*moved*
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby ChatOmbre » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:02 pm

chaco taco91 wrote:thats a good point, but religoun most of the time dosn't believe that the gays are ok

umm, I never said anything about what religion has to say about being gay. also, yet again I will point out that there are many, many, many different religions and variations of certain ones.
Queen of the PointyShiney

"Too much ink is drawn to describe and define love. Why describe it and define it? Take my hand and let's just take a ride through it. Love is... Love is... Let's just go for awhile, leaving ourselves for each other." --Mike Smith
ChatOmbre
Heroic Guard

Postby Neerowolf » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:00 pm

It's solely your opinion.

While you think that's gross, they think being straight is gross (they might). To them, it's normal. They're born that way, they have no control over it. But if you look at it, heterosexuality is promoted more than homosexuality. It's all over the place.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby tsian » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:55 pm

Oh my, where to start.

Whats ur opionion on gay sex/marriage?

Well what, exactly, is gay sex? If you mean anal sex then that was the most popular form of birth control in the middle ages and is still practiced by lots of 'straight' people. As for marriage... well marriage, in the states eyes, is a granting of certain civil rights. I fail to see why a woman, who loves another woman, should not be allowed to leave survivor benefits or medical benefits to the person she chooses.

I think its a free country, but please if your gay out there could u not run around saying it? its disgusting for one thing

It's a free country, but if you happen to be black, could you not run around and like, use the white's stuff.. it's disgusting for one thing

but to make ur own querr bowling teams called "great balls of fire" is really sick

Yeah, might be in poor taste, in the same way a female team called the "Blazing Beavers" would be in poor taste. Not really tied to being gay.

go ahead and be gay but don't shove in people face and act like ur speacial or something

Sure, great idea in concept, but what constitutes shoving it in someone's face? Is a couple holding hands wrong? What about someone talking about their same-sex partner? What about a romance on TV where both people are gay? What about kissing in public? Where do you draw the line and, ultimately, why would the line for gay couples be any different from heterosexual couples?

nut religoun most of the time dosn't believe that the gays are ok,

And for the longest time, most churche's looked down on women (some still do) and many argued that, had god wanted the races to mix, he wouldn't have put them on different continents. Yet, things change, and many churches will now welcome gay members and bless their unions.

not to mention the gay thing is disgusting to me

Why is it disgusting to you? OFten, we are disgusted by the unknown and by what we fear. It is often helpfull to examine exactly why we hold feelings, since holding them for no logical reason is rarely justifiable. After all, there were many, many people who were disgusted when blacks or women attained equal rights.

but its a free country, and they have every right.

So... what are we arguing against?

Its ok to be one, but plz don't shove it an anyones face

Again, what constitutes shoving it in someone's face?

and im glad u are proud of what u are, but that dosn't mean everyone else is proud of u being gay

Sure, but that statement could be applied to anything. Should people be proud of nothing?

Personally, I find being proud of being gay about as... unneeded as being proud to be black, or a woman. That said, when people live in a society which shuns something that they hold at the core of their being, it is understandable to want to take pride in and celebrate that which makes us different. After all, the alternative for some people is to be ashamed of who they are, and that exerts a tremendous mental toll which no one deserves. Ideally, people wouldn't even need to think about being gay or straight in a pride context, they would just be and everyone would be fine with that.

that dosn't mean everyone else is proud of u being gay

And the majority isn't always right. When prejudice is held for no reason, it is wrong. To hate someone for something they can't control seems illogical and inhuman to me.

heterosexuality is promoted more than homosexuality. It's all over the place.

For example, there are many 'teen' shows out there. Relationships are always a big part of these shows (and many other shows), but when was the last time you saw a teen couple in a same-sex relationship where it was treated exactly the same as a straight couple. I can think of one example, and that came from a Canadian television show.

Imagine growing up gay and basically being told that "this is the way you should be... the normal / popular kids like the opposite sex"... the implication, even if other people tell you it's all right, is that you are somehow 'wrong'.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:44 am

They're born that way, they have no control over it.

i don't believe that's actually been established, heh.

As for marriage... well marriage, in the states eyes, is a granting of certain civil rights. I fail to see why a woman, who loves another woman, should not be allowed to leave survivor benefits or medical benefits to the person she chooses.

likewise, i don't see why "marriages" between homosexual people ought to go by a different name than "marriages" between heterosexual people (ie. civil unions)...

Sure, great idea in concept, but what constitutes shoving it in someone's face?

good question! :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby tsian » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:52 am

i don't believe that's actually been established, heh.

No, but it's been pretty well established that it isn't a concious choice... whether it's nature, or nurture (or probably some combination of both) doesn't really matter. If it isn't a choice, it isn't a choice.
Vive le titre de deux.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:00 am

No, but it's been pretty well established that it isn't a concious choice... whether it's nature, or nurture (or probably some combination of both) doesn't really matter. If it isn't a choice, it isn't a choice.

that seems to be a reasonable conclusion. although then again, i'm not sure we really make any conscious choices, heh. i mean, sure, we may be presented with choices, on occasion, however, just because you recognize that you have a choice doesn't mean you actually do. i mean, if all our choices are the sums of our experiences / genetics, then they're not choices - they're just that which we were predestined to do, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby tsian » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:18 am

Yes, but I'm pretty sure you know what I mean... it isn't as if someone decides "You know, from now on I'm going to like members of the same-sex, so what if that'll make things difficult for me".
Vive le titre de deux.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Neerowolf » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:27 pm

Hey Terra. They don't wake up one day and say "I'm going to be gay!"

After a while, they figure it out and they are forced to live with it. In fact, I bet more than half wanted to be straight and normal, but they just couldn't. They eventually came to terms with the inevitable.

Let me guess...

You're a republican, aren't you?
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:28 pm

Hey Terra. They don't wake up one day and say "I'm going to be gay!"

well, i think they certainly could, if they wanted too (just as people can kill themselves, if they really want to, for example), but... it'd be *highly* unusual if someone did, heh.

anyway, i think you've really misunderstood the point i was trying to make. to better elucidate it, i'll use an example.

whether or not i like long or short hair isn't a conscious choice. that, however, doesn't mean it's biologically determined, either.

so, when i said that i don't think that it's been establsihed that homosexuality was biologically determined, that doesn't mean that i think that people consciously chose to be gay. it just means that between biology and between environment, i think either are just as likely candidates.

You're a republican, aren't you?

i wouldn't say so, no...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby harmony1917 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:57 am

i ahev nothing against gay marriages..even tho it goes against gay marriages in the bible or something..but it is whatever the person wants to do
SUPER MARIO ROCKS MY WORLD
harmony1917
Traveler

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:41 am

nicely said!

on a somewhat similar note, i have nothing against eating fruit from trees less than five years old, even though it does go against what the bible says (Lev. 19:23). but, as with gay marriages, it is whatever the person wants to do.

same goes for cross-breading animals, planting two different types of plants in ones garden, wearing cotton-polyester blend t-shirts (Lev. 19:19), reading ones horoscope (Lev. 19:26), consulting psychics (Lev. 19:31), getting hair cuts, getting ones beard trimmed (Lev. 19:27), being tatooed (Lev 19:28), planting crops for more than seven years (Lev 25:4, Ex. 23:10-13), bearing grudges (Lev 19:17), collecting interest on a loan (Ex. 22:24), insulting a leader (Ex. 22:27), mistreating foreigners (Ex. 22:21, 23:9), spreading false rumors (Ex. 23:1), or, ummm... drive a mercury ('cause in Ex. 23:1, it says that you can't mention other "false" gods, heh).
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Next

Return to Twilight Zone