negativity

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

negativity

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:13 am

have you ever really seen or heard someone go on and on about how they love something? i don't think i have. however, i have heard people (and i do it, myself, too) go on and on about stuff they don't like. in fact, people go on and on about that which they don't like, that there's a word for it - ranting. i don't believe there's an individual word for when someone goes on and on about that which they love.

also, why would you go on and on about that which you love? when you love something, the opinions of others really isn't important. i mean, it'd be nice if they loved it, too, but their not loving it isn't going to prevent you from loving it, nor will it really annoy you.

that which you don't like, is different, however. if you don't like something, it'll most likely annoy you that others do like it, and as such, you'll be that much motivated to go on and on about it. you'll be trying to persuade them to join you in their dislike of something.

i think this argument can also be used to justify why so much of what the news airs is negative, and why shows like cops that show people doing bad deeds are so much more popular than shows that would show people doing good deeds.

considering all this, i think one needs to take extra care not to forget that, although all they may see and hear may be negative, that the world is full of positivity, too. it's just lurks in the shadows (and pursuent to that analogy, remember that half the world is covered in shade at any given time, thanks to the spherical nature of the earth ;))

also, pursuent to this, i think that one could very reasonably make the argument that those who do the most to change the world are the most discontented by either it, or their place in it.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nuxius » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:42 am

have you ever really seen or heard someone go on and on about how they love something?
Yes, I have actually.

And there is a word for it. It's called raving (well, rave, actually).

Also, I've known several people who can't understand why no one else loves what they love, and I've also known people who could care less whether someone hates what they hate. For the latter, I'm a perfect example. :lila

Also, I think your post is a case of someone who's talking the talk, but but not walking the walk. In that you telling everyone to notice the positive things in the world, but yet at the beginning you say you're not seeing them yourself.

However, I do agree that the world is a mostly negative place. 3:4 ratio for negativity, I'd say.

I'll openly admit that I can be rather negative sometimes, however, I always try to see the positive sides of things too.
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Aulla » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:25 pm

hey whats wrong with just telling the whole world u love something?? I mean..like if u really love it that much u wanna share it and your not gunna care what people think?
Aulla
Townfolk

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:26 pm

Yes, I have actually.

thinking about it, i think i may have, and heard others, too, heh. it just... is less frequent, i guess, heh.

And there is a word for it. It's called raving (well, rave, actually).

heh - i usually associate that term with parties ripe with illegal drug use, etc.

Also, I've known several people who can't understand why no one else loves what they love, and I've also known people who could care less whether someone hates what they hate. For the latter, I'm a perfect example.

hmmm. maybe my above justifications didn't capture all the reasons people rant, then. (your dell post comes to mind). perhapes another reason would be that people don't want to keep anger bottled up in them, so they do all that they can to release it, whereas with joy, you want to keep that bottled up, so you do as little as you can to release it? or something? heh - i'm just fishing, here :)

I mean..like if u really love it that much u wanna share it and your not gunna care what people think?

pursuent to my first post, if you don't care what people think, then why would you share it in the first place?

anyway, consider the example of zsnes (or most any open source project). a *lot* of people like that emulator. the fact that there are 150,000 listings in google for zsnes, and that zsnes.com has a PR of 6/10 lends credence to this idea.

however, a good majority of the posts on the zsnes message boards are negative. some are suggestions (many of which aren't well thought out), which kinda suggest that the person making the suggestion is discontented with ZSNES as is. some are outright complaints, and some are requests for help (another suggestion of discontention).

rarely are there posts by people saying "this is a great emulator!", and nothing more. i'm not really sure why this is (and its sorta the issue i was exploring in my first post)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nuxius » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:00 am

heh - i usually associate that term with parties ripe with illegal drug use, etc
Yeah, that's a common misintterputation of what that type of rave means. It actually means a party with colored lights and electronic music; drugs are optional (although usually present).

I'm talking about the other type of rave, like whenever you hear a movie got "rave reviews" then that's what they mean. That people just went over how they loved it.

perhapes another reason would be that people don't want to keep anger bottled up in them, so they do all that they can to release it
Agreed 100% with this part. Not too sure about the second part, however.

however, a good majority of the posts on the zsnes message boards are negative. some are suggestions (many of which aren't well thought out), which kinda suggest that the person making the suggestion is discontented with ZSNES as is. some are outright complaints, and some are requests for help (another suggestion of discontention).

rarely are there posts by people saying "this is a great emulator!", and nothing more. i'm not really sure why this is (and its sorta the issue i was exploring in my first post)
The reason behind this is simple, selfishness.

Human beings, by nature, are selfish, they tend to look out for themselves moreso than others; this all dates back to our ancestors in the caveman days, survival of the fittest.

Although people in general try harder to hide this these days, on a subconsious level, it still comes out. What you state here is good example.

Stating a complaint is the only way a person can increse their chances of getting what they want, in this case a solution to their problem. After all a problem can't be fixed if no one knows about it. And even if someone has complained about it, your further complaint can help show that this is a more important issue that is affecting more than just one user, and decrease the chances of someone else tossing it off as a "random problem"

However, if everything is working great, then you're set to go, there's nothing that needs to be done for you. Therefore people are less likely to take the time out to say anything.
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:15 am

My typing up an email discussing how I took the pictures that I did of a kitten (I'll post 'em sometime) reminded me of this thread. If looked at one way, I think one could see the email as a good demonstration of self-importance - of thinking that you're better than everyone else and making sure that everyone knows it. But, looked at another way, I think it could be seen as raving. You're so excited by that which you're discussing - so excited and empassioned by that which you've done - that you go on and on about it.

I guess raves are actually a little bit of both. You're being proud of yourself and your accomplishments might well be a little unjustified, but whomever said that a little pride - even if that which you do isn't really worthy of praise - is bad? Besides, as was once observed on Babylon 5, if you don't take pride in anything - if there's nothing from which you can derive hope from - then there's not a lot of point to life.

Incidently, I think that's one thing that differs from rants - when one raves, they tend to do it about themselves. When one rants, they tend to do it about other people.

Another thing - to rave about something, you kinda have to work from the premise that the person you're raving to is (comparitively) bad at something. Although I may rave on and on (well, sorta) to my parents about the stuff I've done with phpBB (as an example), I'm not going to do so to Linus Torvaldis (creator of Linux), Justin Frankel (creator of Winamp), or someone else equally distinguished. I mean, they could bolster themselves in so many ways, at my expense. They've done this and they've done that, and I haven't and quite possibly never will. Not a very good ego-booster. So, anyway, I guess this is more evidence supporting my assertion that raves have an arrogant aspect to them.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to Twilight Zone