ideal form of government

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

ideal form of government

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:43 am

so what do you think the ideal form of government would be?

on one hand, i tend to have a belief that most people aren't very qualified to chose the direction that this country will go. most people aren't capable of making good decissions for their own life, so why should they be contributing to decissions made for the country? of course, i suppose in that regard, i'm kinda like most people, myself (thinking that most people aren't qualified).

a dictatorship might be a good way to combat this.

but then what happens when that dictatorship does things that only benifit a select few elite people. what assurances does the general populace have that they won't?

democracy is supposed to fix this problem, but it can introduce its own problems.

american democracy attempts to fix some of the problems introduced by a tradiational democratic system by having pluralistic elements, such as a large number of voting districts, etc, and by having some positions that aren't directly influenced by the public (ie. the presidency, which is determined by the electorial colleges, supreme court justices, etc).

personally, however, i think the british form of democracy does a better job at this than the american one does. they have a parlament, whose member parties must represent 50% of the population. so, if the party that gets the most number of votes gets 40% of the popular vote, other parties would have to compose the parlement until 50% is met. in contrast, american democracy would have only the winning party getting the seats, or whatever. anyway, i think that making the governing body represent 50% of voting interests is a good thing because it gives that small minority of people who can make good decissions for themselves and the country more power, by giving all minorities, in general, more power.

what say you?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby tsian » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:10 am

other parties would have to compose the parlement until 50% is met

Are you sure about that? I was pretty sure Canada had a similar system, where a party needs 50% of the seats which is a VERY different thing.

interests is a good thing because it gives that small minority of people who can make good decissions for themselves and the country more power, by giving all minorities, in general, more power.

No.. You need to just trust the government to do that. In the British / Canadian system, generally speaking, the majority rules exactly how it sees fit.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:48 pm

my original plan was 2 live in the Caribean 4 the rest of my life, so I don't really care. :banana
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:41 am

Are you sure about that? I was pretty sure Canada had a similar system, where a party needs 50% of the seats which is a VERY different thing.

hmmm. i guess i'll need to look that up :)

but, irregardless of whether or not its implemented, it might still have merit! :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Aulla » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:45 pm

I dunno i think all of forms of government are screwed up....they all have their own problems :lmao
Aulla
Townfolk

Postby Roadkill » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:12 pm

dictatorships all the way. If you get the right dictator that is. Napoleon was a good dictator, the only thing that people don't like about him is that he went ahead and became a dictator.

And if your dictator sux, or does something stupid.... lock n' load!
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:09 pm

I dunno i think all of forms of government are screwed up....they all have their own problems

that's probably true, but it can be fun to find the one with the least amount of problems :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Javafrost » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:40 am

And if your dictator sux, or does something stupid.... lock n' load!
Easier said than done, I think. By definition, a dictator has absolute power and control, so dislodging one is difficult.
I don't know about the 50% thing, but I would like to see more diversity of representation in the US. To think that out of several hundred US Representatives and Senators only 1 is not either a Republican or Democrat just boggles my mind.
"Endeavor to persevere." -- Lone Watie, The Outlaw Josey Wales
Javafrost
Recruit

Postby Roadkill » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:36 am

well forming parties and coalitions gives you more power... tis brave to stand alone.

Not easily done, i agree, but just takes findint the right person.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Rao » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:33 am

I say we form our own political party
Tell the Spartans, Stranger passing by,
That here, Obedient to their laws, We lie,
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:16 am

l forming parties and coalitions gives you more power... tis brave to stand alone.

just because you're not a republican or democrat doesn't mean you're standing alone... you could be a member of the libertarian party, the green party, or one of any number of lesser known political parties.

anyway, there are some reasons why we only have two main parties in the US:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-party_system

(read the "why it occurs" section)

also, as a random tid bit of info... despite being one of the youngest countries, the US has one of the oldest governments. most other governments have faced revolution at one time or another. this is often attributed to a strong political party system in the US. when a party that's been in power for a long time starts losing more elections than usual, that's when the revolution would have happened. the "revolution" has concluded when another party dominates politics for a long time. supposedly, these "revolutions" of sorts occured every thirty years, although there's some who believe that the last big one occured at the end of truman's term (which was quite a bit more than thirty years ago), and that because of that, the two party system in america is weakening and that violent revolution is becoming that much more likely.

i can't find a superb article on the subject, but here are some that discuss it, none-the-less:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realigning_election
http://www.claremont.org/writings/prece ... ntner.html
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:29 pm

i wonder what the min. wage is 4 dictator? :crazy
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Aulla » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:28 pm

Rao wrote:I say we form our own political party

Lol i agree!!! :7up: