Airport X-Ray Scanners

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Airport X-Ray Scanners

Postby Nyufrost » Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:07 pm

The Transportation Security Administration is currently considering the use of backscatter xray technology to produce scanners that can see through peoples' clothes to determine if they have weapons concealed beneath their clothes.

Proponents say it will deter terrorists and promote safe travel.

Opponents call it an invasion of privacy and claim it makes everyone look fat, white and naked.

Well, by that description alone, it kind of tells me that it's not exactly something that the agents are going to be enjoying in an erotic way. I think by virtue of that it makes *everyone* look "fat white and naked" that it is pretty generic and everyone will just look like a doughy android. ALL they are going to be looking for is a dark spot that would indicate metal or other non-flesh items such as plastic explosives.

I'd say it's a good thing. What say you?
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Gigafrost » Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:06 pm

What would be really neat is if the scanner used a computer program to alert operators that there was a dark spot...assuming of course that's just what it would display, hehehe.

In a certain sense, I could understand people being afraid of it, seeing as it could see through clothes and all. Arguing that it's invasion of privacy is sort of iffy, though. It's not requiring people to take their clothes off...the device shouldn't be able to actually "see" their bodies alone without the clothes...so, what exactly is it invading? Their ability to conceal weapons beneath their clothing? I do believe that's not invasion of privacy.
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Neerowolf » Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:23 pm

so basically, it just shows a model of a naked person, not what YOU look like, right giga?
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:22 pm

why are you asking giga? why would giga know any more then the rest of us? besides, nyufrost touched on the point that you are asking giga confirmation for - not giga. right, icegaze?

anyways, it would be interesting to see how these compare to current airport x-ray scanners, in terms of speed, etc. i also wonder how an x-ray that distorts someone enough to make them look big and fat could be used to detect weapons... perhapes they'll see a big blob, and speculate that it's a knife!

anyways... i don't know if i have much of an opinion on airport x-ray scanners. the people who oppose it, though, seem to be whinning, with their complaints, which already makes me dislike them.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:24 pm

I think it's true that it makes the black area look somewhat vague but by virtue of the fact there is a dark area, they know you have something other than skin concealed beneath your clothes.

I've attached a photo so people can see just what it looks like.
Attachments
xray.jpg
xray.jpg (6.13 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Gigafrost » Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:51 pm

Hmmm...it's so hard to tell from the small picture there. It'd be easier to judge if it was bigger... :\
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Nyufrost » Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:08 am

Just for you, Giga. :p
Attachments
giantxray.gif
giantxray.gif (58.14 KiB) Viewed 3861 times
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:09 am

Man i never meet a woman uglier then her.man is she ugly how fat just is she?
Formerly 'The Muffin Man'
Toby
Elite Guard

Postby Neerowolf » Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:11 am

No fair! i can't see it! It says i'm not authorated to view it!
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:23 am

And people think Opera is God!

*laughs at Neerowolf*

Saber, that's the idea ... it apparenly makes everyone look like the Pillsbury Doughboy.

The question is ... is that invasion of privacy or an embarrassment?

I think not ... you don't really see any details of body features there.

Oh ... another thing I have read that opponents said would be embarrassing was that agents would be able to see their body piercings. That's true but .... would you rather have the agent just *see* it on your little doughboy image or would you rather have to explain to him that you have a peircing in an out of the way place the reason you keep setting off the alarm when you pass thru the scanner?

If I had one, I would rather s/he just see it than to have to tell them about it. :oops:
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby reallycutefrost » Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:29 am

thats an invasion of privacy
be affraid
reallycutefrost
Traveler

Postby MeltedFrost » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:00 pm

Well what I can see from that picture, its fine, I mean its better off we are safe. I wouldn't mind going through one of those.
"Madden 2004 is so good and not over rated at all!" - Flyguy
"i noe i am tha bast speler hear, wat is ura poynt" - Flyguy
"Did someone say popcorn?!" - Flyguy
Flyguy doesn't have a wiener.
Flyguy is SALTY!
MeltedFrost
Townfolk

Postby Icegaze » Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:27 am

I don't think its a big deal
Icegaze
Castle Guard

Return to Twilight Zone