Atheists demanding "In God we Trust" be removed ....

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Atheists demanding "In God we Trust" be removed ....

Postby Rapscallion » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:24 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090714/ap_ ... onal_motto

I'm cool with atheists, but I don't see why their choice in rejecting religion should impact something as full of tradition. Personally, I just see this as another obnoxious atheist group being drama queens about something because "God" is referenced. How does everybody else feel?
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Re: Atheists demanding "In God we Trust" be removed ....

Postby Megafrost » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:43 pm

As a religious agnostic, I can see where they might have a problem, but I personally don't really care.

I will note that I oppose the idea of using tradition as an argument. That's pretty much arguing against change specifically because it's change. I don't see anything inherently wrong with change. That said, I don't see anything inherently good about change either, and I wouldn't abolish a tradition simply because it happens to be a tradition. I would abolish one if it was harmful and keep one if it was helpful. If you're going to argue for tradition, I believe it would be best to list the benefits of keeping said tradition. On the other hand, if there is more benefit to change, then why not change?
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Rapscallion » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:58 am

Totally. I was actually hoping that nobody would mention that or anything along the lines of "Slavery used to be a tradition, too!" :p I guess what upsets me about this is that they're throwing stones at a monumental structure, among other things. I see this no differently than PETA demanding that Theodore Roosevelt's head be blasted off Mt. Rushmore because he liked to hunt.....or being upset about the president killing a fly on camera. :D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:58 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_ ... n_currency

Per that, In God We Trust was added to currency in 1957. I guess there's 52 years of tradition but it's not nearly on par with traditions like Christmas or Thanksgiving or even July 4th.

I don't really care if it's on the currency or not, however, athiests aren't the only ones trying to impose their beliefs on others. Take a look at California's Proposition 8 or proposals to force discussion of Intelligent Design in the classroom.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:49 pm

Okay, so I guess I was wrong about that, too. :)
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Return to Twilight Zone