Pelosi's Double Standard on the Minimum Wage

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Pelosi's Double Standard on the Minimum Wage

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:00 pm

I think Nancy Pelosi's position is very understandable - I think volunteering your time to assist your congressman is much more likely than volunteering your time to assist a friend of yours at McDonalds. The question is... why?

Certainl working in a congressman's office will provide you with better contacts than working at a McDonalds will, but then again, I guess that depends on your definition of "better". If you want a retail job and no place will hire you because you have no experience, you could volunteer to get that experience, in theory. Personally, though, I still think financial compensation is justified.

So why the seeming double standard?

Ultimately, I think such double standards can be tough to reconcile, but... at the same time, should lawmakers refuse to pass laws until they do reconcile all contradictions? Should a grand all-encompasing topical theory of everything exist before a law can be passed? I'm thinking that's actually somewhat unreasonable - Newton's law of universal gravitation has contradictions, for instance, that could only be reconciled by Einstein's Theory of Relativity. That fact, however, doesn't mean that Newton's idea shouldn't have been used as it was surperoir to any other model in use at the time. Same thing with laws - though contradictions may exist that have yet to be reconciled, the law may still have merit to it.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to Twilight Zone