In pictures: 20 of the world's most dangerous places

General on-topic discussions about what's going on in your life or in the world around you

Moderator: OmegaFrost

In pictures: 20 of the world's most dangerous places

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:52 pm

The list:
  • Iraq
  • Afghanistan
  • Chechnya
  • South Africa
  • Jamaica
  • Sudan
  • Thailand
  • Colombia
  • Haiti
  • Eritrea
  • Democratic Republic of Congo
  • Liberia
  • Pakistan
  • Burundi
  • Nigeria
  • Zimbabwe
  • India
  • Mexico
  • Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Lebanon
Source:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/35340 ... laces.html

I'm a little surprised war-torn and pirate-riddled Somalia isn't included.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Re: In pictures: 20 of the world's most dangerous places

Postby Rapscallion » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:59 am

I know! Do you see spring students partying at Somalia? No? But you do see them at Mexico, yet it's APPARENTLY more dangerous than Mexico. Maybe they aren't counting Somalia as a country anymore because of how primitive it's gotten? *shrug*
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby DominoDeja » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:25 am

S
C
A
R
Y O_O
DominoDeja
Traveler

Postby Dracofrost » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:14 am

Well, Somalia hasn't been a coherent country for a while... and yeah, people go to mexico on spring break, but have you heard about some of the shit MS13 does down there? I know I'd be rather reluctant to visit.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Rapscallion » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:24 am

Believe me, as someone who lives in Phoenix, I've heard some horror stories about driving to Mexico for spring break, 18th birthday or whatever.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:18 am

Well, joining the military and hanging with airmen, many of whom joined to get away from home, I've now heard quite a few myself about MS13's actions in american cities, too. Especially since basic was down in San Antonio. Nasty...
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:45 pm

How does MS-13 compare to Al Queda or, for that matter, one of the five families? It seems to me that the five families and MS-13 both have similar goals although those who work for the five families seem to me to be older. Certainly, in The Godfather movies, there not just a bunch of 21 year olds. Also, it seems like the five families are probably better connected. Certainly, I've never heard of FBI agents leaking information to MS-13 whereas for the mob, ala the five families, FBI agents have leaked information.

Al Queda, in contrast, seems to me to be much more into suicide attacks than either the five families or MS-13. They also don't seem to me to to be "for hire", whereas MS-13 and the five families seem to me to do work for hire. It also seems to me that Al Queda is much more indiscriminate than either the five families or MS-13 and that as such they're probably not as good at surgical operations - ie. go in, get this person, and go out.

Were MS-13 to go head to head against Al Queda, I'm not sure who'd have the advantage.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:05 pm

Well, the thing is, whereas the Italian Mafia has gone somewhat legit and had time to, and Al Queda is a politcally/religiously motivated terrorist organization, M213 are just a bunch of savage animals that kill and terrorize half of the time for the fun of it (and also to continually and repeatedly make the point that you shouldn't fuck with them). As in they'll gun down people on the side of the road for no reason, cause they felt like it. At least with the Mafia or Al Queda you gotta do something to piss 'em off. (even if that something is just being American, in Al Queda's case)
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:54 am

Yeah - that's the impression I get, as well. MS13 seems to be like 4chan with a penchant for killing people. Of course, you can do that without being a member of MS13, as well, so why join it in the first place? With the Mafia or Al Queda, there seems to be a support infrastructure in place. You join them and you gain access to resources you wouldn't have otherwise been able to access, be it money, training, equipment, or whatever. But MS13? I have no clue.

Incidentally, upon thinking about, MS13 reminds me of The Joker's organization, from Batman. Both seem to have a penchant for doing things seemingly for no reason.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Dev » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:50 pm

There's a lot of teenagers to young adults in Flushing(basically chinatown) in Queens, NY that are MS-13. Some just join to be cool, their friends are in MS-13, they get forced in, or they really don't have any friends. My brother is a Filipino immigrant that came to the US when he was 14, so he was a freshman in highschool. He didn't speak english well and there were other filipinos in the school that were Crip. So he joined Crip. I used to be in a NY gang called The Lost Boys cause I was forced in after they saw me spraying graffiti.

Maybe you just see the most violent parts of MS-13 on TV. Here, they don't do anything unless you piss them off. But then they're also like any other gang here in NY, if you're weak with expensive stuff they WILL mug you.
Fosty wrote:"My fake plants died because I forgot to pretend to water them."
- Mitch Hedberg

CrustyPunk wrote:Talk to Orion. He plays gee-tar."

Funny men
Dev
Elite Guard

Location: low-temperature penis - cold cock. It actually means the stock of a weapon.

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:01 pm

Don't hear much, these days, about the Bloods or the Crips. Actually, in real life, I've never heard much about them, but they do, atm, seem to be discussed more online. Atleast among the online people that I chat with, be it via FJ or whatever, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby ranbudzz » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:06 pm

this is my top 4
# Thailand
# Colombia
# Haiti
# Eritrea

MOD EDIT: Change your signature and DON'T put ads in them.
ranbudzz
Traveler

Return to Tower of Babble