W movie

A place to discuss movies, books, music and other forms of non-interactive entertainment. It also keeps your food cold.

Moderator: Rao

W movie

Postby Rapscallion » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:27 pm

I saw it last night. It was interesting to watch, but I'm sure a ton of it was made up. Also, I felt that they didn't really firmly show what was going. It was definitely a movie meant only for the people of the first decade of the 2000s.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Re: W movie

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:31 pm

I've seen it. I think the major parts are probably accurate. He did go to Yale and was initiated in Skull and Bones. To quote from wikipedia.org's article on George W. Bush:

Following in his father's footsteps, Bush attended Yale University from 1964 to 1968, receiving a Bachelor's degree in history in 1968.[18] As a college senior, Bush became a member of the secretive Skull and Bones society.

He was an alcoholic and did get arrested once:

Bush had multiple accounts of alcohol abuse.[28] In one instance, Bush was arrested near his family's summer home in Kennebunkport, Maine for driving under the influence of alcohol at the age of thirty on September 4, 1976.

He did make a failed run for Congress:

In 1978, Bush ran for the House of Representatives from Texas's 19th congressional district. His opponent, Kent Hance, portrayed him as being out of touch with rural Texans; Bush lost the election by 6,000 votes.

The portrayal of Bush as being a total failure in everything he tried prior to his getting into politics is questionable, although it's not without precedent. From Factual Back-Up for Fahrenheit 9/11: Section Three:

• “George W. Bush founded an oil company, a drilling company, out in west Texas called Arbusto, which was very good at drilling dry holes.”
  • “Bush ran Arbusto nearly into the ground, as he did every other company he was involved in until finally one of his companies was bought by Harken Energy and they gave him a seat on their board.”
The website elaborates on those claims.

There are some stuff I'm a little unsure about. IIRC, there's one scene in which Bush Sr, in the runup to the Iraq War, writes an article in some newspaper discussing why he didn't go into Baghdad in 1990 and Bush Jr gets upset. Assuming that my memory of that scene is correct, all I can say is that I've been unable to find such an article.

There was something else that seemed pretty questionable to me - George Bush's use of broken English during the Mission Accomplished speech. IIRC, the movie always had him saying "we is" instead of "we are" and stuff like that.

Here's the CNN transcript of the debate:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases ... 01-15.html

There aren't any "we is" things in it.

Of course, it is possible that the transcript isn't what was said, but rather, what was supposed to be said. If that were the case, however, a youtube video of the speech should reveal it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z9RIjGWpJk

Listening to it just now, however, I didn't hear any improper use of the verb 'to be'. That said, it is possible the movie decided to take slight poetic license on the speeches, figuring that if they didn't, the impression conveyed by them would be the wrong one. I mean, the movie doesn't have an infinite amount of time and the audience doesn't have an infinite amount of patience. The way I see it, the director had two options:

• have both the speech, verbatim, and another scene exclusively dedicated to establishing Bush as someone who has a poor command of the English language.
  • Instead of two scenes, have one altered scene. It's not the verbatim speech, but it may wind up conveying the same thing that two separate scenes were trying to convey in a shorter amount of time, which may be preferable

Anyway, here's an article I found, just now, on Google, that discusses the historical accuracy of the films:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10122008/en ... htm?page=0
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Re: W movie

Postby Rapscallion » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:58 pm

Okay, I was wondering about the fist fight scene. Thanks for the debunking tools, Terra. :rotf
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Return to Entertainment Igloo