the answers Sarah Palin should have given

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

the answers Sarah Palin should have given

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:39 am

Sarah Palin has, as of late, been criticized for comments she's made to interviewers (Katie Couric, in particular). I think it'd be fun to try to come up with better answers, so... my attempt follows. Although I have an unfair advantage over Palin in that I'm not having to give impromptu answers, I've tried not to abuse that too much. For instance, I'm not citing sources. It's hard to put footnotes in a dialog, anyway.

• What happens if the goal of democracy doesn't produce the desired outcome? For example, in Gaza, the US pushed hard for elections and Hamas won. (source)

I think that's just a cost of doing business. President Bush has, in so many words, said that the outcome he'd like to see for this election is that we - John McCain and I - win. What is he going to do if we don't?

Besides, Hamas now being the ruling party of Palestine isn't necessarily a bad thing. If, as the ruling party, they do something we don't like, we now have a target, whereas we didn't, before. If Hamas attacks us while they're in power, we can remove them from power. Since Hamas, presumably, wouldn't want that, that gives us an edge over them - an edge we wouldn't have, otherwise.

As the saying goes, the bigger you are, the harder you fall. If our enemies grow in power, their fall will be that much harder.
  • Why isn't it better to spend 700 billion dollars helping middle class families who are struggling with health care, housing, gas, and groceries? Allow them to spend more and put more into the economy instead of helping these big financial institutions that played a role in creating this mess., (source) [1]

We tried that, already, with the Economic Stimulus package, and it didn't help. And in any event, helping these big financial institutions does help people struggling with health care, gas, and groceries. You have to understand that if these companies fall, people lose their life savings as their 401K's become worthless. And what are the people who depend on that money going to do after that? Get on Medicare and Medicaid?
  • Do you agree with the Bush Doctrine? What do you interpret it to be? The Bush Doctrine, enunciated September 2002, before the Iraq War. (source)

You mean, the justification he gave for that war? You know, Bush's presidency isn't just defined by his international activities and unless Bush actually named the justification he gave and called it The Bush Doctrine, I think it's somewhat presumptuous for you to call it that. How am I supposed to know what you mean when you're only referring to one aspect of a multi-faceted presidency? Tell me - is there a Palin Doctrine, too? I have opinions on multiple subjects. Do I just pick one at random subject at random, hoping it's the right one? And what if I get it wrong? Are you going to tell me that you know my own opinions better than I do?
  • You've cited Alaska's proximity to Russia as part of your foreign policy experience. What did you mean by that? (source)

I got nothing.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Re: the answers Sarah Palin should have given

Postby Rapscallion » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:20 pm

Heh, I like the last one.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Re: the answers Sarah Palin should have given

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:24 am

Seems sorta related to this...

From that...

We're told that she wasn't actually able to name all the countries in North America as part of that debate

To be fair, I doubt most people could do that. It's not just the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Indeed, if I counted correctly, there are 41 countries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Amer ... erritories

Heck - even John Stewart got it wrong:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index ... oId=209420
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to Twilight Zone