what do x-files 2 and star trek: nemesis have in common?

A place to discuss movies, books, music and other forms of non-interactive entertainment. It also keeps your food cold.

Moderator: Rao

what do x-files 2 and star trek: nemesis have in common?

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:20 am

wikipedia.org on X-Files:
Anderson and Duchovny both claimed that the timing of the film's release against The Dark Knight negatively affected its box-office return. Duchovny was quoted as saying, "I’d prefer if it was a huge hit, but there are mitigating circumstances. We happened to open on the worst day in the history of cinema - the second week of Batman. The only thing worse would be to open with Batman and nobody would’ve done that."

wikipedia.org on Star Trek Nemesis
Rick Berman - executive producer of the movie - has suggested that Nemesis's performance may have been negatively affected by "the competition of other films"

Not that I think that's the reason either movie performed badly - I think they performed badly because they were probably just bad movies. Can't comment on the X-Files (never saw it), but for Nemesis... I think the theory I buy the most is that it was a movie designed to appeal to non-trekkies but that non-trekkies weren't going to see it anyway, and that by trying to make it appeal to them, all-the-same, it wound up not even appealing to Star Trek's core audiance as much as it normally would have (which meant less repeat viewings).
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Re: what do x-files 2 and star trek: nemesis have in common?

Postby Rapscallion » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:20 pm

The only big movie I remember coinciding on release with Nemesis was the second Harry Potter. And I remember that one completely sucking, so no excuse! lol If you're making a movie that's relevant to something with a good sized fan base, you're going to have fans seeing your movie no matter what.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Nuxius » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:40 am

The only Star Trek movies I enjoyed (IIRC) are Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home and First Contact. I suppose The Search for Spock and Insurrection were O.K. as well. The Final Frontier was easily the worst, with Generations being the only one with a decent enough idea that they completely botched. The rest were "meh" ideas with "meh" final results. I will say that some of the action scenes in Nemesis were pretty good though. Still though, what it constituted for a storyline was a cure for insomnia. :p
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 pm

Nuxius wrote:I will say that some of the action scenes in Nemesis were pretty good though. Still though, what it constituted for a storyline was a cure for insomnia. :p

:D

Nemesis had a really cool ship, though. Would make an awesome Star Trek: CCG card! In fact, it sorta is one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0241719449

Of course, I stopped playing and collecting well before the second edition came out.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nuxius » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:19 am

TerraFrost wrote:Nemesis had a really cool ship, though.

Agreed, that it did.
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Return to Entertainment Igloo