Stargate: Atlantis cancelled and a new series planned

A place to discuss movies, books, music and other forms of non-interactive entertainment. It also keeps your food cold.

Moderator: Rao

Stargate: Atlantis cancelled and a new series planned

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:10 am

STARGATE ATLANTIS looks to be wrapping its run as a series after its current (and now final) season. Plans are to continue the franchise via direct-to-DVD feature projects, a la its progenitor series STARGATE SG-1.

read the rest

Also...

Proving that you can't keep a good franchise down -- at least not for more than a day or so -- the SCI FI Channel has green-lit production on Stargate Universe, the third live-action television series, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

read the rest

Personally, I think that between SG-1 and Atlantis, Atlantis was the one that should have gone.

I like epic story arcs like Babylon 5, Star Trek: Deep Space 9, and even SG-1 offered. Atlantis sorta had that with the Wraith in season 1 and sorta with the Replicators / Asurans, but... since the Asurans were defeated, Atlantis has been almost aimless - like they have no idea what they'll do for the rest of this season or any other. I guess the closest thing they have is Michael, but I find him to be the most uncompelling enemy ever introduced in the Stargate universe.

Some change of pace could, I think, be a good thing. Maybe a Star Trek: Voyager rip-off wouldn't be such a bad idea. Stargate: Atlantis kinda had Star Trek: Voyager elements going for it in the first season. The whole "aimed at a slightly younger audience" bit does worry me, though. Star Wars: eps 1 - 3 could have been soooo much better had they not been aimed at "younger audiences" and this new series? Hello, Jar Jar? Bleh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Re: Stargate: Atlantis cancelled and a new series planned

Postby Rapscallion » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Heh. Well, it will be interesting to see.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Re: Stargate: Atlantis cancelled and a new series planned

Postby Drazo » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:36 pm

SG Atlantis seems to pad out the series with more 'comic relief' episodes than SG1, which unlike most other Sci Fi series, seems to work pretty well for me. For one thing they're not even half as cheesy or a waste of time and don't often stray far from the plots.
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Return to Entertainment Igloo