Stereotyping and racism

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Postby DT Strain » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:59 pm

I think Terrafrost's description of how stereotyping is part of our human nature is pretty accurate. But, as with all observations of our biology, I believe we should remember that "explanation is not excuse". In other words, there are a lot of things that we may be biologically motivated to do (rape, kill, etc) but it's our duty as human beings to control our urges. I would say the urge to overgeneralize and treat individuals monolithically is one of those.

It might even be logical to say "if 60% of group x I've encountered had feature y, then I will assume any individual of group x has feature y until proven otherwise." But, although this is logical, we are taking advantage of that logic at the expense of individual's human rights. In other words, we all have a right to be treated as an individual and judged by our individual words and deeds, and if that means giving up a little efficiency because we have to take the time to carefully observe individuals and not pigeonhole, then I think that's something we should do. That's my impression of the issue, anyway :)
DT Strain
Traveler

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:02 pm

But, as with all observations of our biology, I believe we should remember that "explanation is not excuse". In other words, there are a lot of things that we may be biologically motivated to do (rape, kill, etc) but it's our duty as human beings to control our urges.

that seems reasonable. as the saying goes, mind should prevail over matter (or something like that). although that said, i'm not sure that kind of thinking ought to be applied to every one of our biological impulses (not that i know what every one of them is, heh).
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Re: Stereotyping and racism

Postby fuschiaangel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:43 am

Drazo wrote:http://racerelations.about.com/library/weekly/blstereotypes.htm

From what I know already, as well as from the link above, stereotyping a form of false images created by the media for a quick way of recognising particular groups. But, IMO stereotyping can lead to racism and discrimination. Especially to those idiots out there somewhere who thinks it's real.

Firstly, has anyone every seen an Australian IRL wearing a hat with corks and first saying "G'd day mate"? I haven't. I can assure you here in England, NO ONE speaks with a posh, suave, phoney accent (except for the screwed up royal family) and we don't have 'tea parties' or whatever (I certainly don't! ;)). From what I know of the U.S, and the streets of my town, both are very similar. I also don't believe that all Texas civilians wear 'cowboy' hats, ride horses and have phoney accents. And then there are many other countries such as Japan....

So, any opinions in favour or against this topic?

You are absolutely right about Texas! I have lived here my entire life, one city to the next, moving every year, and I have not EVER!!! EVER!!! Met a cowboy/girl! I am 17, lesbian, with a full scholarship to a prestigious culinary arts college! I wear ordinary clothes, and don't own a pair of boots, spurs, horses, or hats. There are ranches in Tx, but not everywhere. I have only seen one ranch in my entire life, and you know what? I was visiting my dads college friend in oklahoma! My dad was in the military and my mother was a bartender at a rock bar. They are both alchoholics and chain smokers and not very thin. But they don't have accents ( they do have small idiosyncratic habits often associated with texas, that is just a product of the environment they were brought up in. And my best friend is cuban! There is no extreme racial segregation! We are just ordinary people trying to live normal lives.
fuschiaangel
Traveler

Postby Drazo » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:01 am

fuschiaangel wrote:
Drazo wrote:http://racerelations.about.com/library/weekly/blstereotypes.htm

From what I know already, as well as from the link above, stereotyping a form of false images created by the media for a quick way of recognising particular groups. But, IMO stereotyping can lead to racism and discrimination. Especially to those idiots out there somewhere who thinks it's real.

Firstly, has anyone every seen an Australian IRL wearing a hat with corks and first saying "G'd day mate"? I haven't. I can assure you here in England, NO ONE speaks with a posh, suave, phoney accent (except for the screwed up royal family) and we don't have 'tea parties' or whatever (I certainly don't! ;)). From what I know of the U.S, and the streets of my town, both are very similar. I also don't believe that all Texas civilians wear 'cowboy' hats, ride horses and have phoney accents. And then there are many other countries such as Japan....

So, any opinions in favour or against this topic?

You are absolutely right about Texas! I have lived here my entire life, one city to the next, moving every year, and I have not EVER!!! EVER!!! Met a cowboy/girl! I am 17, lesbian, with a full scholarship to a prestigious culinary arts college! I wear ordinary clothes, and don't own a pair of boots, spurs, horses, or hats. There are ranches in Tx, but not everywhere. I have only seen one ranch in my entire life, and you know what? I was visiting my dads college friend in oklahoma! My dad was in the military and my mother was a bartender at a rock bar. They are both alchoholics and chain smokers and not very thin. But they don't have accents ( they do have small idiosyncratic habits often associated with texas, that is just a product of the environment they were brought up in. And my best friend is cuban! There is no extreme racial segregation! We are just ordinary people trying to live normal lives.

Most of the Frosts here are Texans.
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:13 pm

Evlfrost, and who else?

Voice of moderator Mega: Terra, Giga, Chrono and myself also live in Texas. But that's veering off-topic.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:25 pm

I'm also currently living in Texas, but that's about to end. Tomorrow. Yep, anyways, moving along...
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Previous

Return to Twilight Zone