Asexuality and other sexualities

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Asexuality and other sexualities

Postby Drazo » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:30 pm

To most, or at least many, there are only three sexual orientations; heterosexual (straight), homosexual (gay/lesbian) and bisexual. In all three cases they either prefer different (hetero), same (homo) or two (bi) gender(s). However, there is a case of where one doesn't prefer either, or quite simply, not interested in 'any'.

This is more or less known as asexual - without (a). Unfortunately there is no other way of calling it other than asexual unlike the other oris so some people think that we’re some sort of amoeba instead. Because it's so rare, compared to the other oris, many people are unaware of it and some people even disapprove or doubt it because they think everyone has the same feeling and because they think that what they feel or think is what everyone must do as well. Why? Because people are selfish thinking only of themselves and what they think first.

Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asexual

There is a debate to what is classify asexuality - whether it's a lack of interest to all (both genders) romantically (relationship), sexually (desire for sex) or both. IMO it's both - if you're dating but not into sex you're into either one particular gender or both which then would prove you homosexual, heterosexual or bisexual. If you're into sex but not into dating then it would be the same except you do have sexual desire thus you're 'even less asexual'. So asexuality means a lack of complete interest in both genders, not limited desire.

To simply put it -

(Where 'interested' means interested in any way (sexual, love or both))

Homosexual - Interested only in the same gender.
Heterosexual - Interested only in the opposite gender.
Bisexual - Interested in either genders.
Asexual - Interested in neither genders.

Another way to think of all sexuality possibilities is using 2 bit binary where 1 means interest and 0 means no interest –

M F

1 0 – (straight/les/gay)
0 1 – (straight/les/gay)
1 1 – (bi)
0 0 – (asexual)

See there's only four possible outcomes with that? Not three. If there were only three then what would you call a brick? An inanimate object or asexually reproductive organism can't be categorised sexual (homo, hetero or bi) can it? Imagine a chair, or a beam of light, or a neutron, or a drop of mercury being in love? So yes asexuality does exist according to logic. Just because we're all living, thinking and feeling beings (except for terrorists) doesn't mean that we're all interested in sex and relationships, even if the stereotypical media says so.
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby Belkana » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:11 pm

Finally I know someone's opinion of what sexuality means. I talked about this a bit on my blog.

I'd prefer to be completely void of desires and emotions. I really don't like them, they complicate things, and cause irrational thinking. I probably wouldn't even mind too much if I stopped thinking all together. Sorry for wandering off topic there.
Moo. Meow.
Belkana
Traveler

Postby Dracofrost » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:00 am

So wait... you don't like emotions because they cause irrational thinking, but then you say that you wouldn't mind not thinking at all? Would you enjoy being in a comatose, vegatative state? I am confused.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Belkana » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:25 am

I confuse and contradict myself. Sometimes emotions just suck, they seem to mess up everything for me. Thinking well I'm a pessimist so well, you can imagine for yourself. Sometimes it feels like it'd be easier to just not think or feel at all.

Anyways that's not what this thread is about so it'd probably be best to stay on topic before Drazo shoots me or something.

I don't know about that definition, I mean lust and love are two hugely different things. I don't know, I really don't like the matter. It doesn't matter to me who you do or don't love or want to do. If anyone. Sometimes I'm so glad I never got on the religious bandwagon. Not to say there aren't religious people that feel the same, but I haven't really met any yet. I'm just too liberal to be religious. Yes, I know, I can't manage to stay on topic.
Moo. Meow.
Belkana
Traveler

Postby Drazo » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:53 pm

Why don't you start another topic?
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby Belkana » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:00 pm

I suppose. I just don't feel like talking anymore though. Maybe I will later.
Moo. Meow.
Belkana
Traveler

Postby Drazo » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:03 am

Any other input of any such for this topic?
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Re: Asexuality and other sexualities

Postby Rapscallion » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:55 am

Actually, yeah. An ueber late one, but an input none the less. You forgot transsexual.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Megafrost » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:33 am

Transsexual doesn't really fit in with the rest of the -sexual terms here. The other terms imply attraction to one or both(or no) sexes, while the term Transsexual refers more to a person who believes he should be the opposite sex.
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Rapscallion » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:42 am

Alright, alright. :MIB
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Drazo » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:47 am

Thanks Mega for clearing that up....I think I may be transsexual now....

Because I keep geting PMs, such as on here. :)
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby fuschiaangel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:38 am

What about transgender? A guy who used to be a girl likes guys, so is he gay? Or, since he is genetically female still (they can't change that in plastic surgery) does that mean he is straight, and vice versa? ( Girl used to be guy likes girls, lesbo or straight guy?)

Sexuality is such a primal, confusing thing...

Im a lesbian btw
fuschiaangel
Traveler

Postby Drazo » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:39 am

fuschiaangel wrote:What about transgender? A guy who used to be a girl likes guys, so is he gay? Or, since he is genetically female still (they can't change that in plastic surgery) does that mean he is straight, and vice versa? ( Girl used to be guy likes girls, lesbo or straight guy?)

Sexuality is such a primal, confusing thing...

Im a lesbian btw

This thread is old and was made back in the days when I didn't think twice about mentioning the fluidity of sexuality (nor did I thought it was relevent). It seems I just outlined the basic concept of basic gender preference, where you may overall like one gender, both or neither. It is recently that I've learnt that I may be demisexual, or some other grey-area-asexual which means although immediately I'm not attracted to either gender (altough I have drive) especially romantically, I still can get emotionally or even sexually attached to someone who I like enough after a while. Also I may fit under a kind of hetero-asexual-hetero-indifferent-aromantic, which means although I'm to some degree I'm indifferent towards to sex and romance I'm leant towards the opposite gender, so I could still be straight. I do experience some emotional and plantonic admiration to those of the same sex as well, but I can't rule out that I'm biromantic because I feel more like I would be in a romantic relationship with only those of the opposite gender than either. It's all really confusing anyway.
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:12 pm

I didn't know there were so many sexualities! Anyway, I never knew that there was a difference between transexual and transgender, although it makes sense. So many labels these days!
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Return to Twilight Zone