horror movie update...

A place to discuss movies, books, music and other forms of non-interactive entertainment. It also keeps your food cold.

Moderator: Rao

horror movie update...

Postby Rapscallion » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:03 am

Well, on Thursday, me and some friends watched five horror movies. Just thought I'd bring some of them up for the hell of it.

1.) Metropolis- okay, not really a horror movie. It's that one silent film made in 1927 by some German guy about a city that's basically separated between the aristocrats and the workers. Then some tension escalates and shit happens. I guess it's fun to laugh at, but the fact that it's a silent film that's about 80 years old makes it sort of an unbearable burden to watch. The stripper scene is hilarious, though.
2.) House of Wax- First there was "Mystery of the wax museum," then "House of Wax" with Vincent Price (basically a remake of the previous one), then there is "House of Wax" with Paris Hilton being killed and not having much to do with the previous two. I watched the middle one. It involves a brilliant wax sculptor being screwed over and eventually burnt severely, so he kidnaps people he hates and pours wax on them and makes sculptures out of them. Vincent Price is a good actor for horror films (old ones, anyway). The movie itself, though, was okay.
3.) The Audition- Some Japanese horror movie about a middle-age widower looking for a wife, so he has a buddy in the movie industry set up a phony audition for a movie that doesn't exist to find one. He becomes attracted to some really unsettling girl who keeps lying about her past. Considering that it was at one point in time rated "The second goriest film ever made," I was disappointed in its scare-value and just how violent it really was. Stupid psychological thrillers :yuk .
4.) The Blair Witch Project- That's right, I just recently saw it. I had heard about the movie spending large amounts of time, money and resources to make websites and documentaries to make it sound like it was real. I was somewhat skeptical when I started watching it, but it really gets creepy near the end. I was impressed, especially since you never actually see the thing throughout the whole movie.
5.) House on Haunted Hill- This was the original with Vincent Price. Vincent Price's wife talks him into renting a mansion rumored to be haunted to throw a dinner party in. Vincent Price decides to invite 5 random people and promises to pay them $10,000 each if they stay in the house all night and live. It seems like they are trying to make a scary, yet humorous movie. It's pretty funny, but has a really weak twist.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Re: horror movie update...

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:14 am

So of that bunch, it sounds like the scariest one was the Blair Witch Project?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:04 pm

Yeah, unless the thought of a Japanese woman cutting off your foot and sticking needles in your stomach scares you more than anything.
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Nuxius » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:32 am

I remember having to watch Metropolis back when I was in college. Blah. It was the stereotypical Michael Bay/Jerry Bruckheimer/Roland Emmerich big budget mindless summer flick of its day, entertaining when it originally came out, but there's no real reason to go back and see it again. If they have a great, interesting story, older movies can be very entertaining and timeless, however, I definitely do not think that was one of them.

And The Audition only really works if you don't know it's a horror movie before you watch it. Of course, if you don't know what's coming, you'd probably be tempted to turn it off out of boredom since the crappy drama that saturates the majority of the film is a pretty bland affair.

Oh well, at least none of the movies you watched featured cannibals sawing off a guys private parts with a dull bowie knife and eating it... while said person was still alive (and no longer "packing", of course :p).

Seriously though, a lot of what makes a horror movie work is presentation; if you present it right, you can even make more tame scenes seem frightening.
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Rapscallion » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:04 pm

Well, now that you mention it, The Audition does really only work that way. I'm not sure if this reflects badly on me for expecting the apple of the eye of Japanese horror, or if it reflects badly on the movie itself for only being able to scare the viewer if they don't know what it's supposed to be.

Although Metropolis has probably ruined my expectations of silent films, I'm going to watch Nosferatu to see how it shapes up. Let's see how the first vampire movie did. ;)

There are also some others I plan on seeing, and if anybody else sees any that they feel like praising/condemning, post it right here!
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Return to Entertainment Igloo