Send your Name to the Moon

Let's face it - the only reason anyone ever reads Scientific American is to see how "shiny" the future is going to be.

Send your Name to the Moon

Postby Dracofrost » Sun May 04, 2008 5:46 am

link

NASA wrote:Send Your Name to the Moon Aboard LRO!

NASA invites people of all ages to join the lunar exploration journey with an opportunity to send their names to the moon aboard the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, or LRO, spacecraft.

The Send Your Name to the Moon Web site enables everyone to participate in the lunar adventure and place their names in orbit around the moon for years to come. Participants can submit their information at http://lro.jhuapl.edu/NameToMoon/, print a certificate and have their name entered into a database. The database will be placed on a microchip that will be integrated onto the spacecraft. The deadline for submitting names is June 27, 2008.

"Everyone who sends their name to the moon, like I'm doing, becomes part of the next wave of lunar explorers," said Cathy Peddie, deputy project manager for LRO at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. "The LRO mission is the first step in NASA's plans to return humans to the moon by 2020, and your name can reach there first. How cool is that?"

The orbiter, comprised of six instruments and one technology demonstration, will provide the most comprehensive data set ever returned from the moon. The mission will focus on the selection of safe landing sites and identification of lunar resources. It also will study how the lunar radiation environment could affect humans.

LRO will also create a comprehensive atlas of the moon's features and resources that will be needed as NASA designs and builds a planned lunar outpost. The mission will support future human exploration while providing a foundation for upcoming science missions. LRO is scheduled for launch in late 2008.

The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter is being built at Goddard. The mission also will be managed at the center for NASA's Explorations Systems Mission Directorate in Washington.

Send Your Name to the Moon is a collaborative effort among NASA, the Planetary Society in Pasadena, Calif., and the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Md.

So there you have it. You can send your name on an orbiter to the moon, and even get a little certificate to show for it. I already have. Though my name's already on Mars too, with one of the landers they did a similar program with.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Re: Send your Name to the Moon

Postby Catgirl » Thu May 08, 2008 3:31 pm

I sent my name to the moon...
yay, i think XD
"Don't fret precious, I'm here. Step away from the window, go back to sleep. Safe from pain and truth and choice and other poison devils. See, they don't give a **** about you like I do"
~"Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums" by A Perfect Circle
Catgirl
Townfolk

Location: in a cold concrete jungle of soul-crushing proportions

Postby asheebeyle » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:47 am

Hi! I think that's really interesting although I rather send my name to Mars because future humanity may be on there instead once Earth becomes inhabitable. :D

Oh by the way this post has been edited by Drazo because I was spamming. I've also been banned so don't expect to see me post again. :oops:
asheebeyle
Traveler

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:05 pm

The moon would be more suitable! Anyway, kudos to Drazo for keeping up with the spam slayer thing!
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Return to All Things Shiny