Stupid Pseudo-science crap.....

A place to discuss movies, books, music and other forms of non-interactive entertainment. It also keeps your food cold.

Moderator: Rao

Stupid Pseudo-science crap.....

Postby Rapscallion » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:44 pm

I just watched "What the Bleep do We Know?" I don't know that much about Physics, but half of the stuff they're shoveling sounds like absolute crap. Any thoughts?
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Re: Stupid Pseudo-science crap.....

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:08 pm

Never seen it, myself...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:29 am

Good!
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Megafrost » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:34 pm

The moderator speaketh: This topic looks more like criticism of a movie than a deep-seated philosophical discussion. *moved to Entertainment Igloo*
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Rapscallion » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:07 pm

Well, the movie in question was a documentary explaining super preposterous theories with very loosely based physics connections. I was hoping to consult someone wiser than myself on the topic and verify that the message the movie gave off was in fact, crap, but it's your call, obviously.
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Megafrost » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:26 am

Wikipedia says people criticize it for being crap. I'd guess people are on your side.
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Rapscallion » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:51 pm

Heh.
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:44 pm

Well of course it's absolute pseudo-scientific crap. It's New Age religion disguised as a scientific docudrama, specifically designed to take advantage of poor scientific literacy among the general public, to dupe them into believing utter bullshit. Much like Expelled, or other means of supporting 'Intelligent' Design or Creationism. Seriously, I wish the younger religions would grow up, stop lying out their asses, and leave science to the scientists (plenty of whom are still religious but at least engage in actual science). Hell, even the Roman Catholic Church figured that out a couple centuries past Galileo and Copernicus.

Even the physicists interviewed in that piece of tripe are complaining, due to editing making it appear that they actually support the film's thesis, leaving out their real opinions and critiques of it. Of course, when you look at at who made the film, you find that they're all members of 'Ramtha's School of Enlightenment', which is based on the teachings of 'Ramtha', a mystical entity channeled by a stupid bitch in her trailer park in the 70's, who uses her 'channeled wisdom' to run a business, duping over a thousand ignorant locals into being followers. Of course now she lives in a mansion. Hmm... sounds almost like the New Age equivalent of those evangelical preachers that demand huge tithes (tax free, of course), and then go and buy mansions, sports cars, and private jets with them...
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Rapscallion » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:22 pm

I was thinking along the same lines. But wasn't there a legitimate physics theory (well, a higher degree of being a legitimate physics theory) that holds some candlelight, but they completely misinterpreted?
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:51 pm

No. They're trying to equate quantum mechanics with a basis of consciousness and use this to spew a bunch of mumbo jumbo out their asses about matter really being thought, or something like that. They start with a little bit of real science about quantum mechanics, just to draw in the scientifically illiterate but curious and make it sound legitimate, then they go off into Lalaland.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:20 pm

Have you actually seen it, Draco?

I haven't seen Expelled, but here's a fun website discussing it:

http://www.expelledexposed.com/index.php/the-truth

All in all, it reminds me of Celcius 411 (well, Celsius 41.11, or whatever):

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6754
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:52 pm

I've seen the trailers, the reviews, and yes, that website too. That's enough. I don't know why I'd want to actually force myself to sit through that dreck other than intentionally trying to damage my brain.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Return to Entertainment Igloo