Anonymous vs. Scientology

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Anonymous vs. Scientology

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:23 pm

As I understand it, a group of hackers known as "Anonymous" have decided to take action against the church of Scientology. I've heard that they're doing something tomorrow. Can anybody shed some light on this story for me?

EDIT: Nevermind. I looked into it. Apparently, these Anonymous people have been sabotaging Scientology websites and are going to set up some kind of massive protest on February 10th. Here's their warning.

I'm sure we've all kind of laughed at Scientology at one point in time, but this seems somewhat excessive. First off, I suppose I should be thankful that they aren't doing this to Roman Catholicism ;) . Second off, what do they hope to accomplish? Destroy Scientology? If so, how do they plan on doing that? People sort of have the right to choose what they believe, and forcing the Church to shut down won't exactly change peoples' opinion about their religion. Anyway, this whole thing just seems like Anne Rice's novel "Queen of the Damned" to me. Their ads are pretty damn freaky, though.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Re: Anonymous vs. Scientology

Postby Catgirl » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:13 pm

wow... that may have been one of THE creepier videos i've seen. I'm not even part of scientology and they had me looking over my shoulder
"Don't fret precious, I'm here. Step away from the window, go back to sleep. Safe from pain and truth and choice and other poison devils. See, they don't give a **** about you like I do"
~"Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums" by A Perfect Circle
Catgirl
Townfolk

Location: in a cold concrete jungle of soul-crushing proportions

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:52 pm

I think what scares me the most is that they're so damn angry at a religion that is constantly being ridiculed every day. Go to youtube.com and type in "Anonymous vs. Scientology." You'll get hundreds of these videos. I found out about this ordeal this morning, when I saw a bunch of flyers promoting Anonymous taped on bulletins all over campus.
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:47 pm

To call Anonymous a group of hackers is kindof glorifying them... they're mainly a bunch of /b/tards on 4chan and other chans. I doubt there's more than 3 actual hackers among them, the rest mainly being script kiddies and punks. This is actually been going on for a while now... it started when Scientology forced YouTube to take a video of Tom Cruise, which is apparently one of their higher level training/indoctrination tapes, off of their site. This was the 'straw that broke the camels back' for Anonymous, which have been making fun of Scientology for some time now.
They started with a bunch of Denial of Service attacks on Scientology websites, but seem to be moving into more real world (and actually somewhat reasonable and cultured, very surprising coming from them) strategies, like protests, letter campaigns, as well as the usual punkass vandalism.
They're protesting Scientology not because it's silly and stupid, but because it lies to it's members, takes most of their money, and their beliefs about medicine and psychology have resulted in the avoidable deaths of several adherents. Plus they have huge legal teams that aggressively sue the pants off of anyone trying to tell the true, and they keep their core doctrines from their follows until they 'advance' to a certain point (read: have been indoctrinated enough to buy just about anything).
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:28 am

Reminds me of the movie Hackers. Or Swordfish or something. I bet they hack using 4D interfaces and that each and every one of them could destroy the intrawebs with a paperclip. They can fry your computer just by humming at the magic frequency and they can create create explosions that make Tsar Bomba look like a kids toy using just Diet Coke and Mentos. They are the pariahs of teh intrawebs, the skirge of capitalism, and they have returned from their long slumber to destroy Scientology once and for all! Hooray!
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:51 pm

Maybe, but they still sound like fruitcakes to me.
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:14 pm

Who? Scientology, or Anonymous?
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Rapscallion » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:36 pm

Both, but I was referring to Anonymous.
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Catgirl » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:34 pm

Dracofrost wrote:Who? Scientology, or Anonymous?

lol i don't think it matters in this case... they're both crazy, i say just let them have at each other and enjoy the show :P
"Don't fret precious, I'm here. Step away from the window, go back to sleep. Safe from pain and truth and choice and other poison devils. See, they don't give a **** about you like I do"
~"Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums" by A Perfect Circle
Catgirl
Townfolk

Location: in a cold concrete jungle of soul-crushing proportions

Postby Roadkill » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:42 am

There was a response video made by a scientology member. Both videos are kind of wack.

I do say I wouldn't mind seeing the church go. A lot people are surprised that these basement dwellers actually made it outside to mount a notable protest.Even if they are a bunch of punks getting the whole thing going, I don't think there are many people who wouldn't jump on the bandwagon, or at least sympathize with what they are trying to do.

Yet, I do see the other side. Mormons also don't really believe in medication either, and a few other things. The Churches can't really be compared -- LDS actually tends to do good and have good people in it, at least. Yet they are under attack for some of the same reasons -- a sort of cultish idea. They also sort of reject medicine, but worse,you have to be so far into it to partake in some ceremonies, such as the marriage ceremony. That upsets people.

We just have this idea that religion (mis)leads people. Yet we have to be careful -- the whole point of democracy is to be able to say "I want this guy to be my leader!".

Freedom's a bitch.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:15 pm

Scientologists believe, as a general rule, that medicine intended for psychological conditions, in particular, is bad. Prozac, Ritalin, etc. I don't think they're so condemning of medicine intended for physical ailments. Ventolin, for instance.

What about the Church of Latter Day Saints? Are they opposed to psychological medications or all medications? I didn't actually know they were opposed to any medications, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:57 pm

Roadkill wrote: A lot people are surprised that these basement dwellers actually made it outside to mount a notable protest.

"Notable?" HA! There were maybe fourty or fifty at the Phoenix protest. In my opinion, they're going to have to be more "legion" than that.
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Megafrost » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:48 pm

40 or 50 protestors may not seem like much at one place, but the thing is, that's not the only place they were protesting. There were a lot of other places that had protestors as well. The point isn't that there's a lot of them in one place, but that no matter where you go, they are there.
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Rapscallion » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:18 pm

I know that they were protesting nationwide, but Phoenix is kind of a big city. Had they had over a hundred, I would have taken the protest a little more seriously.
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Roadkill » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:23 pm

It was actually worldwide protest -- there were showings in London and Australia, I'm pretty sure, as well as other European cities.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Next

Return to Twilight Zone