Books....

A place to discuss movies, books, music and other forms of non-interactive entertainment. It also keeps your food cold.

Moderator: Rao

Books....

Postby Rapscallion » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:10 pm

I've recently finished reading Sun Tzu's "Art of War." I liked it. It had some interesting teachings, and an entire chapter about using fire on a battlefield. Right now, I'm reading Anne Rice's "Queen of the Damned," which I'm enjoying, although I still think that "The Vampire Lestat" is the best one so far. After that, I'm going to read Sir Isaac Newton's "Principia Mathematica", and then Beowulf (the original version, not translated or anything), then possibly Gallileo's book (the one where three men are arguing about the universe at a table, I can't remember the title).

What is everybody else reading right now?
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Re: Books....

Postby Drazo » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:12 pm

The only books I've been reading recently are all manga books....which the last lot are just Death Note....awesomeness is that manga. :D
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:56 am

Actually, I saw the first episode of the Deathnote show. It's pretty cool :8 . Anyway, what about everybody else?

EDIT: I know that I'm probably boring as Hell, but would a single response kill you all?!
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Winkchen » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:25 pm

I just read "Tintentod" (I don`t know the englisch titel, could be ink dead ore something like that) Cornelia Funke wrote it and it`s very very good, very well written! I don`t know, if it`s popular in the US, in germany it is.
Winkchen
Townfolk

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:31 pm

Rapscallion wrote:I've recently finished reading Sun Tzu's "Art of War." I liked it. It had some interesting teachings, and an entire chapter about using fire on a battlefield. Right now, I'm reading Anne Rice's "Queen of the Damned," which I'm enjoying, although I still think that "The Vampire Lestat" is the best one so far. After that, I'm going to read Sir Isaac Newton's "Principia Mathematica", and then Beowulf (the original version, not translated or anything), then possibly Gallileo's book (the one where three men are arguing about the universe at a table, I can't remember the title).

What is everybody else reading right now?

Why are you going to read Principia Mathematica? Here's what wikipedia.org says about the first of the three books it contains:

De motu corporum (On the motion of bodies) is a mathematical exposition of calculus followed by statements of basic dynamical definitions and the primary deductions based on these. It also contains propositions and proofs that have little to do with dynamics but demonstrate the kinds of problems that can be solved using calculus.

I don't think Newton uses the standard notations that are used in Calculus, today. For example, see this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral#Notation

Plus, Newton wasn't exactly writing Principia Mathematica for the masses - he was writing it for people who were probably, at the time, exceptionally well educated. People have since had 100's of years to make calculus accessible to the lay person.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:17 pm

Yes, I know all that. I just want to get a historical account of it. I'm just reading it for the hell of what he wrote.
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby chaotic century » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:59 pm

I really don't read many real books, manga o yes, but real books with only words meh. I tried reading Dante's Inferno... but I stopped at the second chapter lol don't know if I'll ever pick it up again... and I have been struggling along with Shakespear's The Tempest for like 2 years... and I'm barely half way through it. It's not that they're not interesting, I mean I wanted to read them and chose to start but I just kinda lose interest or something.. I'm just not much of a reader. but I can read Harry Potter and Eragon just fine lol. maybe I should build my way up to the tempest and the inferno.
I am Chaotic Century King of the PointyShiney!
"this world is made of! this world is made of.. LOVE and PEACE!

neero is my master

it is foolish to listen to someone who will not listen to you
chaotic century
Heroic Guard

Return to Entertainment Igloo