Heim Theory: Antigravity and FTL in one handy package?

Let's face it - the only reason anyone ever reads Scientific American is to see how "shiny" the future is going to be.

Heim Theory: Antigravity and FTL in one handy package?

Postby Dracofrost » Wed May 09, 2007 7:12 am

Heim Theory is one of those proposed theories of everything, unified field theory to bridge the gap between General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics.

You probably haven't heard of it because it was made in the 50's and 60's by disabled german physicist who never got the initial papers published and reviewed by his peers. Only recently has it been dug up, with more work being done to fill it out. Unfortunately there are more problems with it than that. However...

The mainly interesting part that makes this theory stand out (at least to someone who can't understand the complex mathematics) is that it's predictions would allow for interaction between electromagnetism and gravity, thus leading to ways to control gravity. And not only that, but with proper manipulation of such a device, it would seem possible to cancel out the effects of gravity on a spacecraft, or even, with a powerful enough electromagnet to send the craft into a parallel or hyperspace where the fundamental limit of lightspeed would be higher.

Now, this all sounds pretty hokey, however, what's really cool is that some of the predictions have panned out in third party experiments O.o
See Tajmar et al. If further experimentation continues to confirm the data, I know I for one will be very happy. ^_^

Even if Heim Theory doesn't pan out and the hyperdrive possibility dissolves, I'd still be quite happy with some antigravity and a reactionless drive. Yep yep.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Megafrost » Wed May 09, 2007 12:26 pm

Would this allow for the lowering of gravity on hi-G planets and the raising of grabity on low or no-g planets?
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Dracofrost » Wed May 09, 2007 8:37 pm

I think so... though it would be only inside of or near the 'drive', and would require considerable power for anything significant.

One example they give is required a magnetic field of 25 teslas to negate the effects of gravity on 150 tons of spacecraft. By comparison, the magnetic field of the earth is only 5.8×10−5 Teslas or so. The record for strongest continuous magnetic field produced (and this is in a high end physics lab) is only 45 Tesla. Pulsed you can go alot higher, but that wouldn't be much use for what you're talking about.

It'd probably still be cheaper to just build a tin can in orbit and spin it.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Dracofrost » Wed May 09, 2007 9:20 pm

Dracofrost wrote:I think so... though it would be only inside of or near the 'drive', and would require considerable power for anything significant.

One example they give is required a magnetic field of 25 teslas to negate the effects of gravity on 150 tons of spacecraft. By comparison, the magnetic field of the earth is only 5.8×10−5 Teslas or so. The record for strongest continuous magnetic field produced (and this is in a high end physics lab) is only 45 Tesla. Pulsed you can go alot higher, but that wouldn't be much use for what you're talking about. That thing is 34 tons and 22 feet tall; I have no idea how much power it consumes. Probably alot, especially when you add in the cooling for the superconductors.

It'd probably still be cheaper to just build a tin can in orbit and spin it.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Return to All Things Shiny