10 Techs That Give You Superpowers

Let's face it - the only reason anyone ever reads Scientific American is to see how "shiny" the future is going to be.

10 Techs That Give You Superpowers

Postby TerraFrost » Mon May 07, 2007 2:44 pm

http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/200 ... hat_g.html

The list:
  • Spider-Man
    • Synthetic Gecko: Be A True Wall-Crawler
    • BioSteel: Spin Your Own Web
  • Fantastic Four's Invisible Woman and Human Torch
    • Invisibility Cloak: Now You See Me, Now
      You Don't
    • Heat-Ray Gun: Drop It Like It's Hot
  • Superman
    • Xaver 800: I See London, I See France,
      I See Lois' Underpants
    • Rocket Belt: Ready For Takeoff
  • Black Canary
    • LRAD: Sonic Assault
  • Captain America
    • Powered Exoskeleton: Unleash Your
      Inner Avenger
  • Iron Man
    • Future Warrior Concept: Dressed to Kill
  • Wolverine
    • ARP Trainer: Get Well Soon

About the Future Warrior thing... helmets with "emissive displays" have already been tested, to an extenct, and soldiers, in general, don't appear to like it:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... 15715.html
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Mon May 07, 2007 8:20 pm

But what if you want to survive your first encounter with an armed thief?

They forgot to go to Troy Hurtubise, with his Trojan Armor Suit. It may look silly, but if it kept you alive, I don't think you'd mind looking a little silly. And I'm sure it could be repainted to look a little more... serious.

Some of that fireproof paste of his would be useful too.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby TerraFrost » Mon May 07, 2007 9:23 pm

From the fire proof paste article:

“I could coat the belly of the NASA space shuttle with fire paste for $25,000 (US), instead of the $60 million it costs for them to put tiles on it,” Hurtubise said.

That's neat :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Tue May 08, 2007 3:27 am

Huh... his 'God Light' seems kindof out there, but if it's real that would be mighty useful in addition to that ARP trainer. I wonder what sort of effect it would have on a normally healthy individual... or if the supposedly increased cell regeneration would let someone recover from a workout and grow stronger, faster.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby TerraFrost » Tue May 08, 2007 4:01 am

Dracofrost wrote:Huh... his 'God Light' seems kindof out there, but if it's real that would be mighty useful in addition to that ARP trainer. I wonder what sort of effect it would have on a normally healthy individual... or if the supposedly increased cell regeneration would let someone recover from a workout and grow stronger, faster.

This "God Light" actually kinda reminds me of this:

http://www.drdino.com/articles.php?spec=67

Ultimately, though, you're not going to gain respect in the scientific community by offering to pay people thousands of dollars if they can disprove what you've said - you gain respect by subjecting your work to peer review - you gain respect when other people are able to reproduce your results. And maybe it's just me, but after having read the article, it just doesn't sound like this guy is trying to do that.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Wed May 09, 2007 12:36 am

Heh... yeah. Would be nice if he did things that way though. I'd love to try and reproduce the results, find out how and why it works.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby OmegaFrost » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:05 am

wow this Troy Hurtubise sounds pretty incredible, though it would be nice if he would follow the basics a little more so he could be taken seriously.

Daleks from another dimension!

"Mark... Mark... Mark... there are not ninjas following you around acting like their going to kill you... Just one! His name is Roger and hes really pissed!"
OmegaFrost
Frost Scientist
Frost Scientist

Exoskelal Updates

Postby Dracofrost » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:16 am

Apparently they've gotten a lot further with robotic exoskeletons. The next version will be powered by a turbine and carry enough fuel to operate continuously for 24 hours... pretty cool. Powered armor, here I come. Add in some Dragon Skin armor ^_^ Now just add some 'russian rocket boots' to it, but scaled up, and you've practically got yourself Heinlein powered armor with jump jets.

And if you deployed with something derived from this, and handled pickup with the V-22 Osprey, you'd practically have Starship Troopers (the book, not that travesty that calls itself a movie) right there. Especially if you armed them with one of these. Then it'd really be complete. And I'm sure that the suit could handle hauling around complete NBC protection along with armor that's proof against most small arms. And there you have it, Starship Troopers (or at least Starcraft style Terran Marines). Yep... fun stuff.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Re: 10 Techs That Give You Superpowers

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:43 pm

Now the only question is... how long before it becomes affordable.

If turning one-person into a superhuman requires the same kind of investment as a B-2 Spirit does... well, we may only ever have 21 superhumans in our military, heh (that's how many B-2 Spirits were built, according to wikipedia.org)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:53 pm

Well, currently the HAL-5 suit produced by Cyberdyne in Japan is going for around $50,000. Even assuming tripling of the cost, that's $150,000, plus about $5000 for a standard set of DragonSkin. Now, assuming that you want and can get a heavier, fuller coverage version and that also triples out, that would be $15,000 for the armor portion. Russian Rocket boots sell for about $1000. Again, assuming scaling up arbitrarily triples cost, that's $3000 dollars for the boot portion.

This totals the system at $168,000, certainly not cheap, but considering the median lifetime cost of a soldier today is 4 million, assuming this significantly increased capabilities and decreased casualties, I'd say that would make for a very justifiable investment. Of course, given the way government military spending goes, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the suits ended up costing more like a million dollars. Still, cheaper than a fighter jet. These would have specialized uses, too, so they'd most likely be used by a small group of special forces or Rangers, which are even more expensive to train and maintain, but worth it in their disproportionate ability to get the job done.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby guenhwyvar7373 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:22 pm

Cool... I'd pay for the gecko suit.
Look! A distraction!
guenhwyvar7373
Traveler

Return to All Things Shiny