PBS pulls show over lesbian content

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

PBS pulls show over lesbian content

Postby tsian » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:24 am

MONTREAL - PBS, the U.S. network that carries the animated series, "Postcards from Buster" has decided not to air an episode featuring a lesbian couple, following complaints from the U.S. secretary of education, Margaret Spellings.

The series, co-produced by Montreal's Cinar Animation, centers on the encounters of Buster the bunny, during his travels.

In this particular episode, Buster meets up with a girl living in Vermont who happens to have two mothers. That has bothered Spellings.

Her complaint is that many parents in the U.S. do not want their children exposed to alternative lifestyles, especially when tax dollars are paying for the programming.

While PBS has agreed not to air the episode, it is making it available to affiliate stations.

Vermont Public Television is one station that will run the episode, says spokesperson Ann Curran.

"We have a very different perspective in Vermont. [It's] a place where civil unions are a fact of daily life, she says."

"It's our decision to have the program available to anyone who wants to watch it. It's ultimately the parents' decision whether to have their child watch it," she adds.

Public response is typically in favour of airing the episode, Curran says.

Rather than lose the episode completely, a Boston affiliate has decided to re-edit the piece, removing any references to the lesbian pairing.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national ... 50128.html

*gasp* What's next, banning any shows that depict interracial couples? Or is that too 1950s?
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:27 am

great. now even PBS shows are gonna start dishing out "Too Hot For Tv" Versions of their shows. :|
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:38 am

Her complaint is that many parents in the U.S. do not want their children exposed to alternative lifestyles, especially when tax dollars are paying for the programming.

and i'm sure there are those parents who don't want their kids exposed only to one lifestyle, as well. of course, they're probably a minority in this country, but i do seem to recall something in my government class about the constitution having provisions to protect the rights of the minority.

as such, perhapes people ought to censor stuff themselves.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

They are good?

Postby sweety2006 » Sat May 13, 2006 12:26 pm

i agree

Moderator note: I'd advise you to pay attention to the date of the posts. This thread is 16 months old.
sweety2006

Return to Twilight Zone