The “Mojave Experiment”

All things techie, be they discussions on troubleshooting, video encoding, programming, or algorithm design.

Moderator: Nuxius

The “Mojave Experiment”

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:34 am

http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/

The whole thing seems rather superficial to me. Sure, in a clean room environment where you're walked through select features, Windows Vista looks great. Kinda like how animals look cute in the pet store. It's when you look under the covers that it becomes a problem - when you try to use Vista for any extended amount of time or when you buy the pet only to realize that you have to clean up after it a lot.

To be fair, though, I haven't really used Vista very much. Tried installing it on a work computer for a day only to find out that our point-of-sale system didn't work on it and that there are no plans to get it working. Ever. Maybe in ten years, it'll start working on Vista (we were using DOS for our point-of-sale machines up until probably two-years ago), but that's ten years...

Haven't installed it on any of my own computers because, frankly, what I have works and I see no reason to change. Not only that but I don't really want the downtime that a reformat would bring (sure, sure, I could "upgrade" to Vista, but if a problem does arise, good luck trying to figure it out - if you install apps one-by-one after installing Vista, from scratch, problems are a ton easier to diagnose).

Also, I think lumping all the criticisms into one generic ball is somewhat disingenuous - people are complaining about very specific things - UAC, unreasonably high RAM usage, etc.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Re: The “Mojave Experiment”

Postby Rapscallion » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:35 am

I don't personally have anything against Vista, aside from the fact that some of old(ish) computer games won't run on it. That's basically the only reason. :)
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Return to Communications Center