Should I or should I not?

All things techie, be they discussions on troubleshooting, video encoding, programming, or algorithm design.

Moderator: Nuxius

Which should I sacrafice until a later version?

Nothing, images are essential
No votes
ABBS server hosted images
33%
Web/HTTP served images
No votes
Both, images are very much needed but the sooner this program is launched the better
67%

Total votes : 3

Should I or should I not?

Postby Drazo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:46 pm

Lately I've been even slower on working on ABBS mostly because (aside from procastinating) I've been stuck on a few more problems. Right now there's still quite a bit of (complicated) work to be decided and done with images and I was wondering, in your opinion, is it worth leaving the entire image downloading and uploading system unfinished so I can continue working an release it for beta sooner? Or should I take as much time as I can to at least implement the ABBS server side, HTTP images systems or both?

I've already had to leave out a few features to save time....I really like to have this project, even incomplete, up and available providing it's worth paying for ASAP.
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Re: Should I or should I not?

Postby Nuxius » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:41 am

*coughs*

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8431

Descriptions are always helpful. :p
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:27 pm

phpBB2 doesn't, without modification, support the hosting of images, itself - you have to host them. It does, however, support remotely hosted images through the use of bbcodes.

Does ABBS have a BBcode system? If so, it seems like you could just add an img bbcode to that. Of course, you'd need to be careful not to allow for XSS...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Drazo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:04 pm

Because ABBS is now like a website system of it's own, you have to specifiy object's images and background images via the image property....which is all in a Visual Studio style more or less....

http://www.cunningware.com/abbs.htm

Basically while modifying a control's image or background image property you can select a image stored locally or a image URL (beginning with "http://"). If it's a URL type it'll need to download it and store it in the cache, which needs to send a HTTP If-Modified-Since request if the modified time or date is different. Images stored locally will be transfered from server to client but for web images the client is responsable for downloading the image itself while the server only serves the address in the script. Images embedded in text via BBcode is irrelevent for this case, but they shall be web URL only for the time being.
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:59 pm

In that case, presumably server hosted images would be the ones that'd be used the most? For the websites I maintain, at work, I just upload the image off of my laptop, via FTP or SFTP. Sometimes when I need to ask a question but don't want people to know what I'm working on, I'll post stuff on geocities - upload with their HTML form off of my laptop.

In the case of frostjedi.com, I don't normally upload an image to geocities.com and then link to it from frostjedi.com - I just upload it directly. Seems like just having direct uploads would be the most intuitive / commonly used, as such.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Drazo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:04 pm

And if they want an image from the internet they can just simply save it to their server....

However the server is intended for all computers with any reasonable connection, so having it just self-hosted would mean those with less than 'big and juicy internet connections' would experience very slow image serving.
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:16 pm

Well, it is generally is recommended that images be hosted on a different server than HTML for the purposes of splitting bandwidth up (you can even use round-robin DNSs to have multiple servers hosting the HTML content), but... that's a fairly elaborate setup. FJ, itself, is on a shared host. Before hosting stuff on multiple servers we ought to get a dedicated host and that's $$$.

It seems to me that the primary users of any new software package are mostly going to be hobbyists - not people with loads of cash floating around. People with loads of cash floating around will probably want a product that hobbyists have proven works since hobbyists are likely going to be more willing to figure problems out or more willing to accept downtime than people with lots of $$$.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Drazo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:22 pm

Or lots of £££. :p

It will be at least slightly easier to do the server to client image serving then over http since I don't have manage the http headers and whatnot. But I'm going to lock out the whole image thing until shortly after the initial beta release, so that I can at least draw some audience while I'm still finishing the work. At least that's what I'm thinking right now until I come across the next obstacle and it requires image manangement....or my brain decides to start working again.
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:33 am

Drazo wrote:Or lots of £££. :p

Good point :D
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Drazo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:54 am

It seems my brain has started working again. To prove my point I've just noticed some mistakes in my previous posts above. :MIB

Regardless of what I've stated before, I'm continuing my web image work, which I'm slowly making progress once again.

Once upon a time, I thought it would certainately not take as long as to go into the summer. Now it's only possible it'll be ready sometime in the autumn at the earliest. Yes it's taken something like 5 or so times longer than what I first predicted to do this. :lila
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby Drazo » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:26 pm

Barely tested the (90% complete) image setting features and already came across three unobvious bugs. It's all so buggy and there's so much cleaning up to do I think it's going to take several months at least just to set things straight....I'll be lucky to get this BETA testable before christmas. I'll be lucky to get it RC worthy by this time next year....

Progress lately has been getting slower and slower and I'm losing interest and motivation fast. There're other things I'd like to do but I can't afford to work on something another whole year without any earnings....
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:56 pm

:(

There are quite a few things I, myself, have spent quite a bit of time on but have pretty much all but abandoned, now. I think probably the best example is a phpBB2 MOD I wrote - Block Open Proxy Registrants 3.0.0. Had a ton of improvements over the last version - could scan for SOCKS4/5 and HTTP proxies, supported multiple scanning methods, etc. The MODs pretty much completely finished, but I never did release it anywhere because I, after developing on it, came to the conclusion that PHP4 just wasn't well suited to what I was trying to do and that the techniques I was using were just going to cause me and others headaches due to their being tough to diagnose.

There are other examples, but that's the most egregious one, I think.

I mean, in the course of developing it, I learned a lot, but at a certain point, learning, alone, isn't sufficient.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Drazo » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:28 am

Still I plan to actually release all by the end of this month, so anyone can test what works and use it for simple purposes. This way it's always in development but available for anyone.
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Return to Communications Center