Out of memory error...

All things techie, be they discussions on troubleshooting, video encoding, programming, or algorithm design.

Moderator: Nuxius

Out of memory error...

Postby Rapscallion » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:59 pm

Well, I finally got a copy of the PC version of Mass Effect. I installed it (it took a good hour or so) and when I tried to play it, it came to this blue "DOS" looking screen that said something about a memory error. I looked at the customer support page on EA's webpage and it turns out that I was experiencing an "out of memory" error. They recommended that I bring up task manager and end applications and processes, or I try and delete everything in my tempory folder.
Now my question is are either of these processes as risky as they sound, and is there any other way to work around this?
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Re: Out of memory error...

Postby Dracofrost » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:19 pm

Neither of those is particularly risky, though you're more likely to end up just needing more RAM. Mass Effect is a serious hog.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:37 am

Sounds like you got a blue screen of death. That's not usually caused by not having enough memory. It would really help if you wrote down what, exactly, it said.

I haven't had a blue screen of death in a while, but, iirc, they, normally, restart the computer. If your computer restarted immediately after the blue screen of death appeared for you, you can disable that auto-restart by doing this:

http://www.tunexp.com/tips/maintain_you ... to-reboot/
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nuxius » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:18 am

A DxDiag printout would be helpful as well. :)
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Drazo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:16 am

Rapscallion wrote:They recommended that I bring up task manager and end applications and processes, or I try and delete everything in my tempory folder.
Now my question is are either of these processes as risky as they sound, and is there any other way to work around this?

Only end the processes you know and don't need. Usually task manager will refuse to close down any essential processes but, depending on your OS and version (inc. service pack) and permissions (i.e logged on as the system 'administrator'), it may still cause Windows to restart with warning which is a little annoying. I already know all my processes and what's needed or not (hence why I also edited the start up processes from the system configuration utility) but I don't expect you to do that....it's usually best to just get some more RAM....how much RAM have you got if you know? Usually blue screen of death memory errors occur when there's a memory conflict....if your system runs out of RAM then it uses the harddrive as temporary memory storage (virtual memory) which of course makes loading and especially unloading much slower.
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:31 am

So I should get more RAM if I want to run the game effieciently?
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Nuxius » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:36 am

Rapscallion wrote:So I should get more RAM if I want to run the game effieciently?

It could help, however, there could be other issues at hand as well; a DxDiag report would help out greatly here, as it would tell me what your system specs are, how big your page file is (page file vs total memory available is very important here) etc.
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Rapscallion » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:51 pm

Alright, here it is.

EDIT: It looks like I have a ton of space, so I'm not sure what to think, but then again if I did, I wouldn't be asking all of you. :p
Last edited by Rapscallion on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Nuxius » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:42 am

Holy crap, I can't believe I haven't been here in over a month... o_O; How time flies, sheesh.

Heh, you probably already have this solved by now, but just so I don' feel like a complete failure... :p

Let's take a look at that file now, shall we? *downloads* (just realized that 13 other people had previously downloaded the file, and not a one of them posted any help; makes me wonder why they downloaded it in the first place... :p)

Anywho... well, looking at it, you're right at the minimum requirements for memory (yeah, 1GB is the minimum requirements for Mass Effect in Win XP), and you have an excessively large page file (514MB when it should be around 200-250MB or so for best performance)... When they set up the minimum requirements, they don't take having a bunch of excessive background crap running like you do into regard.

So you could either a)cut down on the background programs you have running while playing Mass Effect or b)if you absolutely don't want to temp get rid of anything then get more memory. I'd personally cut down on the background programs/crap anyway, but that's just me.
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:08 am

Nuxius wrote:Let's take a look at that file now, shall we? *downloads* (just realized that 13 other people had previously downloaded the file, and not a one of them posted any help; makes me wonder why they downloaded it in the first place... :p)

Probably most of that was spiders, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nuxius » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:16 am

Do not worry, Rapscallion, we will help you!
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:16 pm

Thanks, dude! And guys! Anyway, I was actually waiting for you to get back on and reply and have been playing other games to wait. I'm also at a relative's house currently using dial-up so I'll have to figure out what that image is when I get back home. Anyway, I'll be back on in a few days to keep you updated.
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Nuxius » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:40 am

So, any luck? :p
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Rapscallion » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:48 pm

Yeah, it works. I have to toy with my processes and stuff alot to make it work, but it worked. Personally, though, I don't think that the game is worth it. Neverwinter Nights and Jade Empire were way better in my opinion. Thanks to all who helped!
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Return to Communications Center