Where Do I Start?

All things techie, be they discussions on troubleshooting, video encoding, programming, or algorithm design.

Moderator: Nuxius

Where Do I Start?

Postby no2l » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:06 pm

Hello, I Just found out about PHPBB and I want to set up a Forum on a redesign of a website I have ...but
I don't know Where to Start! So...Can someone Help me? (I have never set up a database...?? :trout ) thanks, Ann
no2l
Traveler

Re: Where Do I Start?

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:44 am

Your host would need to support MySQL and PHP. If it does, create a database (randomly choosing it's name, the username, and the password) and then enter that info into the install page.

Here's a discussion of how to do it for phpBB3:

http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentat ... lation.php

You'd also probably be better off posting on phpbb.com, actually. Here, you're liable only to get help from me, and I may, at times, go for days without checking this place. On phpbb.com, someone will probably read each of your posts within minutes of you making them.

Good luck!
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Re: Where Do I Start?

Postby Drazo » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:02 pm

Having a good FTP program is ideal too, not a webbrowser based one they provide which only allows you to upload 5 files at a time and manually browse and select each one. With phpbb 3 there's a lot more files thus it will take you hours, if not many hours, at fastest, to upload all the files needed individually.
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Return to Communications Center