The Inket Refill Racket

All things techie, be they discussions on troubleshooting, video encoding, programming, or algorithm design.

Moderator: Nuxius

The Inket Refill Racket

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:16 pm

If you’re buying name-brand ink cartridges, which typically hold a few milliliters of ink, you’re shelling out the equivalent of between $3,000 and $5,000 per gallon.

read the rest

That's actually why I got a $70.00 black and white refurbished laser from Fry's last year - ink was just too expensive. Since I print so infrequently, I often found myself having to buy a new ink cartridge for each page I printed out. With a laser, you don't use ink, but rather, toner, which doesn't dry out. So, although it's more expensive then a quick $20.00 purchase, it saves you money in the long run :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Re: The Inket Refill Racket

Postby Nuxius » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:08 am

I don't even have a printer. I used to, but all it did was collect dust. I finally got rid of it.
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:05 am

I might have opted to do that were it easy to print PDF's or other non-image files.

A while ago, I needed to print something for a trip. I figured my printer would work so I opted to print it the day I needed it (Sunday morning). Unfortunately, as it turned out, the printer (an inkjet) didn't work. So I went to HEB, who apparently didn't print PDF's, and I went to a CVS Pharmacy. The guy there didn't even know what a PDF was. I asked these people if they could just print the files from a personal computer (as opposed to the Kodak photo printing kiosk) and just got back blank stares.

My appartment has some public access computers, of sorts, but the room they were in only opened up at around 2pm on Sunday. Since I was supposed to be catching a plane at 2:30pm, that wasn't really an option.

My Dad (who was accompanying me on this trip) ended up taking me to his place of employment and I got them printed there, but... yeah... getting non-images printed out at places like HEB / CVS seems somewhat difficult.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nuxius » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:42 am

Adobe Acrobat is a superfluous piece of software. :p

I place it right next to other superfluous things, like Sun's Java, Microsoft's .Net Framework, and Steam for single player games, for example. :wink:
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Return to Communications Center