MySQL licence

All things techie, be they discussions on troubleshooting, video encoding, programming, or algorithm design.

Moderator: Nuxius

MySQL licence

Postby Drazo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:48 pm

AFAIN, MySQL has two licences - the free GPL one and the costly commercial one. The free to use one is if your application that uses or relies on MySQL is free and open source. If your application isn't thus isn't GPL compatible then you need the commerical licence.

What I'm unsure about is that if I wrote a program which doesn't actually need MySQL but optionally can (like phpBB because it needs a database but you can choose to connect to postsql, mssql, etc etc instead) but isn't open source and may or may not generate any money....will it be able to fit in for the free or commercial one?

For the sake of more confusion let's just say getting a commercial licence is out of the question for now and I like as much as I can do to use MySQL but for free....
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Re: MySQL licence

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:36 pm

Never noticed this question, before, heh.

Anyway, my guess would be that it is ok (if nothing else, claim the program you're writing is open source - just that you haven't distributed it to anyone - the GPL doesn't require you actively distribute a project - just that you not prosecute anyone who does) but if you're unsure, asking on comp.database.mysql or something might be appropriate.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Re: MySQL licence

Postby Drazo » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:59 pm

There's one way to get around this....the program that needs the database technology (the server app) is open source while the client isn't. :D The money I'll be making out of it will be a web based service, simulating a DNS but just for the client app to connect to registered server apps.
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Return to Communications Center