BIG frickin problem.....

All things techie, be they discussions on troubleshooting, video encoding, programming, or algorithm design.

Moderator: Nuxius

BIG frickin problem.....

Postby Rapscallion » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:25 am

My e-mail will not work on my computer for some reason. My dad checked the settings on my e-mail account at home (they were exactly the same as the ones I have now), and it even works at the home computer, but every time I try to access it on my laptop, it says the TCP/IP address has been deleted by my server. My dad looked into this by logging on to the member list of mindspring.com, and it said I was still a member and had all of my personal info up to date and everything.
My e-mail won't receive or send. I tried calling tech support, but all I got was their stupid computer voice overs that tried to decipher my voice electronically. I'm about to call tech support for my anti-virus (Shield Deluxe 07) , and the tech support for campus connections. If it has nothing with them, I have no idea what the problem is. My poor dad has been chatting with mindspring.com's tech people, and they've been giving all kinds of advice.
Has anybody heard of anything like this? I need to fix this soon before I get important e-mails from classes or my bank.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:00 am

How are you accessing your email? POP3? IMAP? For sending emails, you usually need to use your ISP's SMTP server. If you're at home, it'd be mindspring's - if you're at school, it'd probably be your schools. Your schools tech support people would probably know :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:47 am

my mindspring account is a POP3. Anyway, I just set it up so everything goes through my university g-mail account, so it's fixed.....for now... :bah anyway, thanks for the concern. :)
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:14 am

hmmm. your university has a gmail acct? interesting.

i use gmail, myself. i prefer it over ISP email accts or university ones since (hopefully) gmail will outlast any of those. i certainly wasn't a student forever and can't guarantee that i'll always use the same ISP that i'm using, now.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Re:

Postby Nuxius » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:44 pm

TerraFrost wrote:and can't guarantee that i'll always use the same ISP that i'm using, now.

Yep, that's the exact same reason I don't use any of the email addresses my ISP offers.
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Return to Communications Center