Installing/Formatting a used harddrive on a Dimension 4550

All things techie, be they discussions on troubleshooting, video encoding, programming, or algorithm design.

Moderator: Nuxius

Installing/Formatting a used harddrive on a Dimension 4550

Postby Dev » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:20 am

Hey, my brother needs some help installing/formatting our maxtor harddrive.
The harddrive is from an old computer, the reason why he doesnt want to just plug the harddrive into the computer is because he thinks there is a virus still in the harddrive. What should he do to format the harddrive without risking getting an infection in the process?
Fosty wrote:"My fake plants died because I forgot to pretend to water them."
- Mitch Hedberg

CrustyPunk wrote:Talk to Orion. He plays gee-tar."

Funny men
Dev
Elite Guard

Location: low-temperature penis - cold cock. It actually means the stock of a weapon.

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:02 am

Simply plugging the hard drive in and reformating it isn't going to get you the virus.

Browsing the hard drive and opening every executable file you can may well get you the virus as may simply browsing it (I think some viruses, a while ago, could be installed that way?)

Of course, if you have up-to-date virus definitions for your AntiVirus program, you should be safe whatever you do.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Drazo » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:10 pm

Besides, only the registry instructs programs to auto launch, which is how some viruses, spyware, trojans, etc launch in the first place.
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby Nuxius » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:05 am

Or you can just simply plug in the infected drive all by itself (with no other hard drives, I mean) and boot off a floppy, then format it. If the good hard drive isn't plugged in while you boot the computer with the infected hard drive plugged in, then obviously it isn't going to get infected.
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Return to Communications Center