computer wall

All things techie, be they discussions on troubleshooting, video encoding, programming, or algorithm design.

Moderator: Nuxius

computer wall

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:47 am

watcha think?

the windows xp cd's are all different. the card on the wall is an nvidia geforce ti500. there are 2x pc800 64 mb rimms there, 1x pc100 128mb dimm, 2x pc100 64mb laptop dimm's, 1x 387 math coprocessor, 1x p3 taken out of its case, a minipci ethernet controller, a dimm of an unknown capacity, and a 4mb stick from a 486.
Attachments
compwall.jpg
click to see the full color version
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nuxius » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:53 am

I got a better idea.

How about you mail me that copy of Windows XP Professional. :wink:
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:56 am

which copy? hehe :)

actually, a lot of those are deffective. instead of throwing them in the trash at the place i work at, i put 'em on my wall. unfortunately, that's becoming harder to do, because the current manager likes to collect 'em, themselves (along with the nice fabric sleeves :()
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nuxius » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:00 am

How are they defective? If it's just scratched, there are ways you can repair that. Even bad ones.
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:20 am

in truth, i'm not actually sure they are deffective. the place i work at has an arrangement with ut austin such that it sells certain microsoft software at extremely discounted rates (ut pays microsoft to sell it at that price; we just sell it on ut's behalf). to return allegedly defective cd's, customers first have to go to ut's it department. if they determine that it's defective, and give the place i work at authorization to do the return, we do it. how thorough their testing is, however, is something i don't know. i haven't tested 'em, myself, since i actually got them for the express purpose of putting 'em on my wall, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby ChatOmbre » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:11 pm

that rocks! :D :cookie
Queen of the PointyShiney

"Too much ink is drawn to describe and define love. Why describe it and define it? Take my hand and let's just take a ride through it. Love is... Love is... Let's just go for awhile, leaving ourselves for each other." --Mike Smith
ChatOmbre
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:37 am

There's a few more stuff that needs to go on my wall. 2x pc2100 128mb sticks of laptop ram and a sound blaster audigy 2. i have them sitting on my scanner, right now.

Something else I'd like to put on my wall is a 3.06GHz Pentium 4 for a laptop. I don't know how much those cost (what search string would I use to find one on newegg.com?), but there's a non-working on at the place i work. I'm not sure what they're planning on doing with it. I asked if I could have it, but was told no by my manager after I said I'd put it on my wall (they asked what I'd do with it - what else can you do with a bad cpu?). Tomorrow, I think I'm gonna see if I can buy it for a dollar, or something, 'cause I really would like it, and if the only reason I'm not getting it is because that which I'm gonna do with it doesn't meet with the managers approval, then I'll try to provide an alternative incentive.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nuxius » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:52 am

Newegg doesn't carry those anymore. The Pentium M is what's in use now.

However, looking at other processors that are somewhat comparable to it, I would say it would proably cost somewhere between $200-$250 for a new, working one. That's a total guesstimation, though.
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:10 am

As an update, I have a 802.11b minipci card on my wall. Looks much nicer and crisper than the 100mbit etherhet minipci card.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Re: computer wall

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:19 am

haven't updated this in a while.

TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nuxius » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:17 am

What is that above the GeForce 3 (and above the PC66-100-133-whatever SDRAM). Too small to see. :p

Heh, I still use my RDRAM (server) and my Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS. Nice Katmai Pentium III, BTW. Reminds me of my old Dual Pentium II 450MHz machine. That thing was a beast for it's time. It had a Matrox card (for 2D) with a couple of Voodoo 2's in SLI.

Oh, and DDR2's not representin'? :wink:
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:07 pm

Nuxius wrote:What is that above the GeForce 3 (and above the PC66-100-133-whatever SDRAM). Too small to see. :p

It's a mini PCI card. I have another one sitting on my desk (from a Linksys router), but I still need to put it up :)

Would have had a PowerPC G3 from a clamshell iBook, but those things are tough to get out. I stuck a screwdriver under it and tried to pry it off, and the ceramic cracked! Rather annoying.

Heh, I still use my RDRAM (server) and my Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS. Nice Katmai Pentium III, BTW. Reminds me of my old Dual Pentium II 450MHz machine. That thing was a beast for it's time. It had a Matrox card (for 2D) with a couple of Voodoo 2's in SLI.

:D

Oh, and DDR2's not representin'? :wink:[/quote]
Well, I just got 2x defective 1GB PC2-5300 SODIMMs from a coworker yesterday! :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Drazo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:12 am

*gets evil ideas*

Nah....if I started putting all our ex-computer parts on my walls there wouldn't be any wall left. [Insert sweat-drop smiley here]
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:44 pm

Drazo wrote:*gets evil ideas*

Nah....if I started putting all our ex-computer parts on my walls there wouldn't be any wall left. [Insert sweat-drop smiley here]

Is that a bad thing? :D
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Megafrost » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:34 pm

If my family put all our ex-computer parts in a room, we wouldn't have any room left.

I should take a picture of the balcony over Mom and Dad's room, there isn't any room left there...
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Next

Return to Communications Center