random message board packages

All things techie, be they discussions on troubleshooting, video encoding, programming, or algorithm design.

Moderator: Nuxius

Postby Nuxius » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:42 am

Well the search feature for PHPBB is broke anyway, as I have never been able to get it to respond to anything under the "Search Options" category. Seriously, you can tell it to search only one forum, and it will search all of them anyway. Same for all the other options. So not only does it suck, it doesn't even really work!

I just use Google as well.

vB actually has a pretty good search function, though. I like it, at least.

Moving on, yeah, I used to post at a board that used YaBB. It's been around for a while. While I agree with most of what you say, and there are certian things I like about it as well, I just don't like the overall "feel" of YaBB. Not to mention that it uses Perl, and forums that use Perl are banned from most webhosts (including the Perl version of UBB).
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:20 am

i think IBM has a distinction among ultra rich companies for having the worst looking forums of all:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/f ... forums.jsp
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nuxius » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:49 am

Or the best if they ever gave out a "Most counter-intutitive forum" award.
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:12 am

the internet archive has what i think is a custom forum package viewable here:

http://www.archive.org/iathreads/forums.php

it's not the worst message board software around (the award for that would have to go to old-style boards, the ibm forums, or the like), but it's not exactly one that, imho, ought to be replicated.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:18 am

the pricing on Jive Forums - a message board software written in, i'm assuming, jsp - is insane. the cheapest one sales for $2,500 / server, and support is $1,000 / year. and that doesn't include access to their kb (ref).

and take a look at their clients (apparently the afore mentioned ibm forums are based off of this software):

http://www.jivesoftware.com/customers.jsp

according to their product comparison page, they do have some features that phpBB (and vBulletin and invision) don't have - spell checkers (although MODs can add this feature), ban groups (?), embedded nttp servers (?), and a virus scanner for attachments.

it would also seem to be programmed using java server pages, but as with the above additional features, i don't see how this can justify spending $3,000+ dollars on something.

based on the variety of layouts that their customers have, i'm gonna guess that they'll also bend over backward to design something for you, but still - it hardly seems worth that much.

perhapes the reason that companies like these really really expensive message board packages is because they believe them to be more secure than phpBB, vBulletin, or what not. they'd be wrong in thinking that, however. by not making your code freely available (or atleast cheaply available), you're depriving yourself of peer review. i mean, just take a look at Windows to see the state of security in closed source software.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Murrian » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:29 am

Ahh my young padwan, I see you have still to see the way of big business mentality.

Take for instance today i'm off for training on the new software package were switching to in our call centre (from one last programmed in 1984 and support ceased in the late '90s).

Only i'm not there for the training, i've been strategically placed by manager to covertly push for the use of power dialling with the circle of managers above here that will also be attending (which for no other reason then them wanting to have a look at the software because they never set foot in our department any other time).

You see in our call centre we still have people manually dialling the telephones - telephones we paid a £100+ for each. Instead of having headsets directly wired into the computer so all they need do is push a button to dial the number. Now we'll ignore the fact this will increase dial rates, therfore productivity, reduce potential rsa problems with employees or being obviously the right course of action to take and jump to we have no system tying the phones into our current (or new) software package so we have no way of knowing whether someone is makin a call or simple sat chatting to the mates occasionally coding a "no reply" so it looks on there stats like they're working.

So in review - it saves money, increases productivity (therefroe revenue) and has absolutley no drawbacks what-so-ever, yet our beloved managers don't think it's a good idea (as it could've been implemented in the old software). They're also so adimant about it that we can't even just send them a doc on the benefits of moving in this direction that i have to secretly convert them like a tv evangalist to get them to do what is right thing.

Sometimes I feel my avatar is quite appropriate.
Murrian
Townfolk

Postby Murrian » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:30 pm

Scratch that idea then, I lost it at the main boss - her idiocy was unbelievable - then I didn't help matters by making disparaging remarks about the marital status of her parents and the circumference of her equator....how was I supposed to know she's pregnant....
Murrian
Townfolk

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:03 pm

hmmm. i think it'd help if certain managers knew something about that which they were supposed to be managing. thankfully, i haven't really had a manager like that, yet, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Neosurfur » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:27 pm

AHHHH!! un-understandable computer talk, MY BRAINNNNNN :lol
Neosurfur
Townfolk

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:33 am

a company called Prospero apparently makes message boards, too. their client portfolio is impressive, as are a few of it's features (users can create their own forums, if the admin allows 'em too, and it sounds like staff members can be selectively given abilities), but overall, the forums look terrible. here's a sample thread from the AARP's forum (the AARP uses their software):

http://community.aarp.org/n/mb/message. ... 27.1&ctx=1

never mind the fact that the layout isn't all that great, but why do posts have To fields? if a post is really intended for one individual, then why can the whole world view it? why isn't it a private message?

next, check out the forums at businessweek:

http://forums.businessweek.com/bw-technology/messages

frames and a layout that looks befiting of a ~1995 webpage. alternatively, i suppose one could say that these webpages are more remiscent of google groups than they are of actual message boards. well, i have news for corporations - if usenet was easy for the average person to figure out, the average person would be using them. message boards would be dead. but they aren't. so why should usenet be emulated?

also, if the people behind these message boards are gonna have such crappy interfaces, then why do they bother having message boards at all? it's a waste of their time to set it up, and it's a waste of my time to look at it.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:55 am

here's another message board software package i have yet to look at...

http://www.lithium.com/lithium/products ... forums.asp

Dell apparently uses it on their support forums.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nuxius » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:07 am

Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:04 am

Another message board package I'll maybe someday look at, heh:

http://www.woltlab.de/index_en.php
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Drazo » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:45 am