anti-virus package in xpsp2?

All things techie, be they discussions on troubleshooting, video encoding, programming, or algorithm design.

Moderator: Nuxius

Re: anti-virus package in xpsp2?

Postby krishinax » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:33 am

Norton Antivirus just reported a “tracking cookie” detected on my comput. What is “cookie”? How do I treat it? As I am browsing the internet on my computer now, I got the above message. What is cookie? How could a cookie be tracking my computer and what for? The antivirus also reported that, it requires attention. How do I take care of it? I even noticed that, my computer just became much slower than usual, could it be responsible? What should I do?
krishinax
Traveler

Postby pinari » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:49 am

What is the best FREE antivirus availabe that's downloadable from the internet? My dad is convinced that our computer is fine just with Mozilla Firefox blocking pop-ups, but since this is the third time this computer has had its hardware wiped clean by viruses, I'm not too sure that this computer will last without anything. Every time I ask him if we have protection, he just says we have Mozilla. So I'm confused. So what's the best free antivirus?
pinari
Traveler

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:06 pm

krishinax wrote:Norton Antivirus just reported a “tracking cookie” detected on my comput. What is “cookie”? How do I treat it? As I am browsing the internet on my computer now, I got the above message. What is cookie? How could a cookie be tracking my computer and what for? The antivirus also reported that, it requires attention. How do I take care of it? I even noticed that, my computer just became much slower than usual, could it be responsible? What should I do?

I would ignore it. Cookies are benign, despite antivirus vendors attempts to make them seem otherwise. As an example, when you log into this forum, you had to enter your username and password in, but only once. Cookies are why you don't have to reenter your username and password in on subsequent visits. If it weren't for cookies, the internet would be a lot less usable.

Cookies can also be used to track the websites you visit if used in a hidden iframe with the URL of the parent document passed in via GET, but, honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. In that scenario, they can also track you by your IP address and there's nothing you can do to stop that. So, in short, your AV is just being unnecessarily alarmist.

pinari wrote:What is the best FREE antivirus availabe that's downloadable from the internet? My dad is convinced that our computer is fine just with Mozilla Firefox blocking pop-ups, but since this is the third time this computer has had its hardware wiped clean by viruses, I'm not too sure that this computer will last without anything. Every time I ask him if we have protection, he just says we have Mozilla. So I'm confused. So what's the best free antivirus?

You can try AVG Free.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby allenborder » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:34 pm

Hello to all...
I am new here and my name is Allen According to me, AVG Antivirus is the best because it detects mostly all the Virus and delete that virus.
AVG AntiVirus is really a nice antivirus i using it from last 2 years and because of that my PC run speedily....
You can have brilliant ideas, but if you can't get them across, your ideas won't get you anywhere.
allenborder
Traveler

Postby TerraFrost » Mon May 17, 2010 10:45 pm

More false positives!:

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/04/21 ... P-Win-2000

Except this false positive totally kills your system. Yay!
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Previous

Return to Communications Center