Dell Computers

All things techie, be they discussions on troubleshooting, video encoding, programming, or algorithm design.

Moderator: Nuxius

Dell Computers

Postby Nyufrost » Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:02 am

I read an article last week saying something about Dell Computers being assembled by prison inmates??

No wonder they are so inexpensive!

I think that's the same as "sweat shop" labor though and pretty low down ... the prisoners are paid nothing for their work and it's just that many less jobs that are available for the public! :x
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:48 am

i really have to wonder as to the credibility of the article you read...
someone once told me that they heard that dell was gonna move its headquarters to mexico to get tax cuts, also... although that hasn't happened, yet, and i really doubt that it would happen...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:20 pm

About Dell Im confused. They started in Austin, Tx then moved to Round Rock Tx but then I heard something about the world headquaters being moved back to Austin. Does anyone know where they are? (they still have that big complex out by Wal-mart though).
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:37 pm

i am quite confident that their headquarters are still in Round Rock, TX ;-)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby OmegaFrost » Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:22 pm

Ther moving it to kansas or florida I think which really is :pissed: ing off Texas because of a deal that they wouldnt leave for a set amount of time and they are.

Daleks from another dimension!

"Mark... Mark... Mark... there are not ninjas following you around acting like their going to kill you... Just one! His name is Roger and hes really pissed!"
OmegaFrost
Frost Scientist
Frost Scientist

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:38 pm

i think them moving to kansas to florida is nothing more than an urban legend...

anyways, as of November 25, 2002, their headquarters is in round rock:

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-971158.html?tag=mainstry
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:05 am

Dude thanks for clearing that up for me (they are sooo confusing).
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Nyufrost » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:06 am

I think the article I read was accurate because it was AP and not some internet gossip site. Besides, Dell confirms it.

Here is the article ... http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... _protest_2

Here is a quote from the article:
The coalition also complains that instead of using cheap prison labor, Round Rock, Texas-based Dell could provide others with jobs.

The nation's top-selling computer manufacturer deals with a U.S. government contractor, UNICOR, which employs prison inmates to recycle outdated computers.

Dell spokesman Bryant Hilton acknowledged that the prison labor saves the company money, but said inmates meet all OSHA standards.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Nuxius » Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:30 am

Uh, the article you linked to talks about disassembling old Dell computers and recycling them (IE getting rid of the mercury and other dangerous toxins that lie within your computer, and then melting down the rest [plastic/metal/aluminum] for use it whatever.)

It says nothing whatsoever about assembling anything.

Although having prision inmates do this isn't probably the best idea, it's not as bad a problem as the companies who dump their old computer parts in third world countries (dangerous stuff and all), leaving the people there (usually the kids) to dangerously scrummage through the mess, at high risk of killing themselves no less, to try to get the mercury and other junk to sell. (gosh that was a long run-on sentence :lol)

And the even sadder thing is that it would take a lot of computers to get up enough to sell at any price, but that's how desprate they are, and that's how much no one else seems to care.
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Nyufrost » Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:58 am

I was thinking it meant to refurbish which I guess I thought meant reassemble. Oops ... hehehe :oops:
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:44 pm

actually, hehe - doing a quick skim, i thought it meant assemble too! i guess i was lead astray by your post, nyu! :lila:

ummm... yeah... that has to be it, hehe :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:22 am

Yeah ... Yeah ... that's it! :p

(Ever seen Jon Lovitz as "the Liar" on old SNL reruns? If so, just imagine that was my Jon Lovitz voice!)
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Re: Dell Computers

Postby jeniferlewis23 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:51 am

i really have to wonder as to the credibility of the article you read...
someone once told me that they heard that dell was gonna move its headquarters to mexico to get tax cuts, also... although that hasn't happened, yet, and i really doubt that it would happen...

Yes it was happen i also these article first time i have also wonder.
jeniferlewis23

Re: Dell Computers

Postby Drazo » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:23 pm

Sorry mate but we (as with many other forum sites) have a thing about ancient thread revival....

*Snaps fingers and lays this to finally R.I.P infinitely*

And a merry christmas to you too. :)
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Return to Communications Center