Yay for affordable broadband!

All things techie, be they discussions on troubleshooting, video encoding, programming, or algorithm design.

Moderator: Nuxius

Yay for affordable broadband!

Postby Nuxius » Sat Dec 14, 2002 7:18 am

Like I had said here:

http://www.frostjedi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=249

I have moved back in with my parents for the time beng (until I can find an apartment).

Anyway, come to find out Charter (the local Cable/Internet company around here) has Cable internet access available here for, get this, only $24.95 a month!

I get 768kps download/128kps upload, good enough for X-Box live, which I might be getting sometime soon.

LOL, I remember when I first heard about the deal, I had asked the lady down at the local office a bunch of times if this was some type of short term deal.... You know like $24.95 for the first 3 months, then $49.95 after that. But she said, nope, it's $24.95 every month, always.

And that's only $5 more than I was paying before, for crappy 56K! :oops:

Of course, right now I'm paying an extra $5 a month to lease the modem, however I plan on buying one ASAP.

My dad said that if I got broadband, a router so he could use it too, and put my TV (which is much bigger than theirs) in the living room so they could watch it while I was staying here, then I wouldn't have to pay for food or anything like that while I was here.

Sounds like a good deal to me! :thumbs:
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Nyufrost » Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:28 am

Wow! That IS an excellent deal. :shock:

Of course, when I look it up, it tells me "Charter does not currently offer service in your area."

Frank-the-weinerdog (aka Multiplexer) works/worked for Charter and said its the same thing as AT&T, I think. And, though AT&T Broadband is our cable TV service provider, they do not provide cable internet service. They have super crappy customer service and we cancelled them and got Directv satellite over the summer.

They offer satellite DSL service but I don't remember any of the details and am too lazy to look them up at the moment. :p
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Nuxius » Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:37 am

I'm not really into Charter cable TV myself, I used to have them, along with my parents, but we both switched to DISH Network because we were tired of the crappy service.

But then they upgraded the lines to fiber-optics and got Digital Cable, and now they have a deal with Microsoft for the broadband, which is why I think it's so cheap for us.

The Cable TV still doesn't give us the value DISH does, so we have no plans of switching that.
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Nyufrost » Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:53 am

We had the digital cable too but the satellite turned out to be cheaper and we get more channels. So far, no complaints about the service (crystal clear reception even in high wind and rain) and their customer service people we *have* interacted with have been great ... unlike AT&T. :pissed:

The only reason I'm hesitant to try their DSL service is that Giga's family seems to have some pretty bad luck with their satellite inernet connection sometimes! :shock:
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:24 am

actually, I believe DISH network uses phone lines like every other DSL ISP, lest it wouldn't be DSL :lila:

Giga's family uses something called NuCentrix - it's a wireless satalite based ISP... i don't really know much more than that, though. But it's quite different than DSL service from the DISH network :)

and i've never really done pricing of ISP's, myself. here at the dorms, i'm on the universities academic network... so i get great speeds, but i am subject to their innane bw restrictions :(
and my parents can't get DSL or cable, because they live too far away from both.

although that sounds like some pretty nice speeds you are allowed! :)

i think one of the deciding factors for me when i move out will be what usenet provider they use (ie. easynews.com, which would probably be better, i think, or there own).
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nuxius » Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:53 pm

I think you're thinking about DirecTV there, Terra. I do believe that they do have regular DSL, although it's not available everywhere.

DISH has a deal with Starband, a satellite ISP provider, which charges something like $69.99 (ouch!) a month for their service. They talk about it sometimes on the Charlie Chat (err, it's a show where the president of DISH Network tells you about what new channels are being added, new recievers and technologies are being added, answers call in quesitions, and the like).
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:04 pm

oh, hehe. well, in that case, that's kinda cool! :)
although that does sound kinda expensive... hopefully, they're speeds aren't that bad, though, for that price! :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Re: Yay for affordable broadband!

Postby cristana » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:49 am

How do I create a wireless broadband connection - I already have an Ethernet wired connection? I am using a Belkin broadband modem/router and am connected to my pc with the Ethernet wire. I have to move my pc away from the router and need a wireless connection to the router but have been unable to set one up - please help! Thank you, one and all.
cristana
Traveler

Re: Yay for affordable broadband!

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:00 pm

You can buy a wireless router.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to Communications Center