At last

All things techie, be they discussions on troubleshooting, video encoding, programming, or algorithm design.

Moderator: Nuxius

At last

Postby Drazo » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:35 am

I've installed Windows 7 professional 64 bit edition....

I can't say I'm impressed so far though. IE 9 is shitty, installing Windows was a pain (it didn't like my new SSD being the primary and insisted my secondary HDD took it's place so I had to unplug the latter), stability is pretty poor (IE for one thing keeps partially freezing everytime I launch it) and everything has been re-organized or otherwise been given a complete make-over which is all less straight forward than XP and previous versions was and that's just the tip of the iceberg....

(And what's with the massive icons and task bar by default?!?)

Rant over, for now.
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Re: At last

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:00 pm

I agree with most of your criticisms lol. If I've had one tab open for a while I've found that I can't change the URL in the address bar for that tab quite often. I'll usually just have to open up a new tab. I think that's dumb.

Same thing about the large icons too. I've gotten used to it (mainly because I'm too lazy to change the default on every computer) but still..

I'm actually not sure what changes 7 introduced that Vista didn't have that I liked lol. Vista had some stuff I liked. I didn't like everything but I did like some things it did. What does Win7 have vs WinVista? I'd have to look it up as there's nothing immediately obvious that comes to mind.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Drazo » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Googling IE 9 and it's slow loading brings up a lot of relevant results, it looks like it's a pretty common thing.

Zone Alarm doesn't seem to get on with Valve's games with Windows 7 unless you set it to "game mode" before hand. It interferes as you close the game and causes it and certain W7 GUI to completely freeze or become non-functional. Even task manager couldn't do anything so I had to log out. I really don't like how they've downgraded TM's power. In XP it almost always terminated non-essential processes with little resistance. Now a crashed out game/fire wall can render 7's GUI useless. At least one can ctrl+alt+del out and log out safely instead of hitting the physical restart button.

W7 was really expensive and it did get a lot of positive reviews as well as plenty of updates since, so it's no wonder why I'm really annoyed with it already.

Linux on the other hand has improved a lot over the years, well, some versions anyway. :lila
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:55 pm

Windows 8 sounds like it's gonna be even worse.

The new Metro UI, in particular... ugh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Drazo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:08 am

I agree and judging from what I've heard so far, it's probably going to end up like Vista in terms of popularity and support. I'm sticking with 7 until it's end of life support (2020)....

Nvidia seem to have dropped the monitor calibration wizard for this version and Windows 7's built in one is a bit primitive and it will not override if any game goes full screen (even with nvidia's settings). As a result, everything appears washed out (excessive gamma).

More rage: The search feature in 7 is very primitive. I don't know why or what Microsoft were thinking of, if they were even thinking. I call it pure laziness. Microsoft have a massive developement team and lots of resources including money at their disposal yet they carve up something which resembles something from 3.1 at best? I might as well write my own better file search program (in .net)....I could do that in less than a day.

The desktop gadget has been taken down online. It's yet another attempt to encourage everyone to get Windows 8 and to be lazy because they only want to work with one OS at a time even though they keep releasing one every two years now. Everytime I picture Microsoft as a character, I imagine it as Yu-Gi-Oh The Abridged Series's Seto Kaiba.

Anyway, overall they've done a really good job.

A really good job pissing me off that is.

:trout
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Return to Communications Center