Cell Phones

All things techie, be they discussions on troubleshooting, video encoding, programming, or algorithm design.

Moderator: Nuxius

Cell Phones

Postby Dracofrost » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:56 pm

Just out of curiosity, I decided to make a thread asking what kinds of cell phones everyone has, and why. What neato or 'standard' things does your phone have that made you like it enough to get it?
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Re: Cell Phones

Postby Megafrost » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:52 pm

The thing I like most about my cell phone is that I don't have to be home to call home.

I don't do anything else with it.
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Drazo » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:09 pm

Coincedently I just got my new phone yesturday as an early birthday present. It is a LG-KS360. LG....same make as my monitor (on this computer anyway).
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:49 pm

I still use the phone my parents bought me junior year in high school. And I was reluctant to have it at the time because I hated the thought of somebody being able to contact me wherever. :P Anyway, I have some kind of motorola that was cutting edge in 2005. I wish I could tell you the exact model, but I left the manual back at my house. It's got texting, camera stuff, and web access (this could be to ringtones, games, news, etc.) along with some other built in functions. Considering I probably wouldn't have gotten one had my parents not forced one down my throat, there aren't really any specific features I expect other than the most common ones.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:53 am

I have an AT&T Tilt. First phone that wasn't free, after the two-year rebate, and I paid several hundred dollars for it. The reason being that I wasn't looking for just a phone - I was looking for a camera and PDA replacement.

Before, I had a Nokia 6030 cell phone, a Konica Minolta DiMAGE S404 digital camera, and a Palm TX. Hardly ever used the camera, though. Those times that I did want to use it, the batteries had lost their charge, so I couldn't use it, anyway. Got a Palm Zire 72s off of eBay to remedy that (got it after my Palm TX), but that still left me with two devices that I'd want to put in my pocket - my cell phone and my PDA. Problem is... they didn't fit. My PDA would hit buttons on the cell phone and once, through a random combination of buttons, a song got purchased.

On top of all that, the Palm Zire 72s's camera wasn't very good - 1.3MP. So, I got the AT&T Tilt. Has a 3MP camera, which, although not as good as the Konica Minolta (no optical zoom, manual focus, shutter speed control, etc), it's better than the Zire 72s. Also, since it has Windows Mobile, a lot of the games I got used to playing on the Palm TX / Zire 72s are still available. Back when Windows Mobile and Palm OS ruled PDA's, PDA developers often wrote stuff for both.

Chose the AT&T Tilt over the iPhone (upfront, the Tilt is more expensive) because I liked the keyboard (the iPhone's design makes it highly smudge-prone), the fact that it has built-in GPS (the first iPhone didn't), the fact that the camera was better (3MP vs 2MP and it supports videos), and the fact that the data plan wasn't mandatory (the iPhone costs $70 / month, minimum!).
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Apollo » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:57 pm

I have an old Nokia that is almost indestructible. I've drop it from a 16 ft light grid to a concrete floor several times and the thing just keeps working.
Kings start the war... archers win the war.

Emissary of the PointyShiney
Captain of the Guard and Lord Marshal of the Archers of the pointy shiny
Apollo
Elite Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:05 am

Apollo wrote:I have an old Nokia that is almost indestructible. I've drop it from a 16 ft light grid to a concrete floor several times and the thing just keeps working.

I once dropped a laptop from a 3 ft desk to a concrete floor and had to get a new one :(

Pretty cool, though, that your cell phone endured :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Apollo » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:06 pm

In update just got a Samsung Rugby. Its a nice flip phone that Samsung says is almost indestructible. (we'll see how many 16 ft drops it survives)
Kings start the war... archers win the war.

Emissary of the PointyShiney
Captain of the Guard and Lord Marshal of the Archers of the pointy shiny
Apollo
Elite Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:38 pm

hehe right on. Last week, I was taking a piss and my phone slid out of my hoodie pocket and into the urinal. After cleaning it off, I took it apart and put it back together the next morning to try to see if it would work. It didn't, so I started looking for a new phone, since my contract permitted me one free upgrade. I ordered a Motorola VU 204. It has all the bare essential functions I need from a cell phone (calls, texts, pictures) and has bluetooth on it, plus it looks cool. Anyway, after I ordered it, I turned on my "dead" phone and it turned out to work just fine. Apparently it just took some time, but on the plus side, I didn't lose anybody's phone number.
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:06 pm

For laptops, it's been suggested that when you spill water on them that you turn it off immediately, or, if it's already off, don't turn it on - to do so would be to risk a short circuit.

Also, for the phone numbers... those are often on the SIM card.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:26 am

Well, either way, I'll probably just write them on a notepad.
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby brisaya » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:13 am

Why would a Verizon cell phone that is being billed by Verizon, when searched say Cingular is the carrier? The phone is a Verizon phone and it was bought at Verizon, but when you do a cell phone look up, it comes back saying it belongs to the New Cingular Wireless, PCc. Lls, I think that is it. Could that phone have internet service from AT&T being used on it? Can that Verizon cell phone number be used on both a Verizon phone and an AT&T phone?
brisaya
Traveler

Postby allenborder » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:37 pm

Hello guys...
I am new here and i like cell phones...
Because I wish I could tell you the exact model, but I left the manual back at my house. It's got texting, camera stuff, and web access (this could be to ringtones, games, news, etc.)....
Thanks for making such awesome thread for cell phones....
You can have brilliant ideas, but if you can't get them across, your ideas won't get you anywhere.
allenborder
Traveler

Return to Communications Center