problems accessing the forum....

All things techie, be they discussions on troubleshooting, video encoding, programming, or algorithm design.

Moderator: Nuxius

problems accessing the forum....

Postby Rapscallion » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:41 pm

For some reason, my laptop can't get onto the forum. I enter in the address, but then it just goes to a white screen and leaves it at that. I thought that it was just my computer, but I noticed that this happens only when I use Internet Explorer 7. It seems to be working fine with firefox. What's up? :huh
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Re: problems accessing the forum....

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:17 pm

No clue. Works fine for me when I access it with IE7. Maybe try clearing your browsers cache?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:57 pm

I'll try that, but it's not just my IE7 browser. The one in the school's computer commons is doing the same thing.
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:22 pm

I just tried it on another computer, with IE7. No problems what-so-ever.

Can you visit any other pages on FJ? What do you get when you visit frostjedi.com and not frostjedi.com/phpbb? What about frostjedi.com/terra/ or frostjedi.com/vex? On the computer in the school's computer commons, does it work on Firefox, there, as well? Are there other websites that are manifesting this problem?

The other computer you say you've tried it on is your laptop. Where have you used that? On campus, with the campus' wireless or on independently operated wireless networks?

Can you install Wireshark on the computers experiencing this problem? If so, install it, open it up, and go to Capture->Interfaces. One of them should have a number that periodically increases. Click on the "Options" button for that one. Uncheck 'Capture packets in promiscuous mode'. Then visit frostjedi.com as you normally would, and then, after you get the error, go to Capture->Stop. Then go to File->Save As and the rest should be self-explanatory.

Since I am unable to reproduce the problem using my own computers (and I've tried two), I'm going to have to reproduce the exact queries you're using to get the pages.

Of course, I can't guarantee Wireshark will work for you. With the luck you're having, it'll probably make whatever computer you're on float to the ceiling. Doesn't do that for me nor do I even see how that'd be possible, but then again, that kinda describes the problems you already claim to be having, so that's probably all the more reason for it to happen...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Drazo » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:13 am

I'm using IE7 (and with the latest updates too) right now and having no problems.

I would say it'll be something like the hosts file for IE but if two seperate machines are doing it I doubt it would be unless it's caused by a virus or because you're accessing it within the same network....
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:27 pm

Alright, I found the problem. I've been typing in http://www.frostjedi.com on IE7 and been getting just a blank white screen. However, when I add the phpbb thing to the end of it, the page comes up and works fine. For some reason, Firefox will take me directly there if I just type in http://www.frostjedi.com. Eh. Whatever. Kind of funny to find out that it was something that minute :oops: . Anyway, thanks for the help, guys.

EDIT: Now I'm seeing ANOTHER problem. Why are abunch of threads in Communication Center (and one in Rogue's gallery) listed as having new posts when they haven't posted on for months, or even years? And do they keep showing up as new even after I look at them?
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Drazo » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:35 am

I don't know what's happened to those threads, but I've moved them out of public sight for now.
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:50 pm

Rapscallion wrote:Alright, I found the problem. I've been typing in http://www.frostjedi.com on IE7 and been getting just a blank white screen. However, when I add the phpbb thing to the end of it, the page comes up and works fine. For some reason, Firefox will take me directly there if I just type in http://www.frostjedi.com. Eh. Whatever. Kind of funny to find out that it was something that minute :oops: . Anyway, thanks for the help, guys.

Knowing that it was the root page as opposed to the forum helped. Don't really know why the problem was occurring, but, none-the-less, it was fixed.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:48 am

yep.
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Return to Communications Center