I just learned something

Come chill and partake in discussions on any subject not specifically covered by any other forum.

Moderators: Evlfrost, Moderators

I just learned something

Postby Megafrost » Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:42 am

Whatever you do, do not take a very warm cup and pour a cold drink into it. Unfortunately for me, I learned this the hard way, as my glass split into two pieces as I was holding it. And the tea? All over the floor now. :p
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby taenadar » Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:43 am

awww too bad of the tea :(
anyway, dont they say glass pieces or whatever will give luck? :p

"If you drink to forget, please pay before you drink"
taenadar
Elite Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:53 am

Heh ... the luck is that he didn't cut his hand ... :p
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Megafrost » Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:28 pm

Or it might give bad luck, because when the glass split, it was up to me to clean up the mess. :p
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Gigafrost » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:30 pm

So, do y'all know why it breaks? Me neither, but I've got a pretty good idea...

-When something becomes hot the molecules expand, thus it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that all the glass molecules had expanded more than usual (ie, room temperature)

-By adding cold liquid, in essence the molecules slowed down\contracted. Really, though, what happened was the energy from the molecules in the glass transferred into the colder fluid, since cold is lack of energy.

-But pouring the cold liquid into the cup caused uneven distributions of cold throughout the glass. Some parts contracted faster than others. This means that some parts of the glass were pushing out while others were pushing in.

-The force generated by that was probably enough to force slightly warm areas away from slightly cool areas, cracking the material and breaking the glass.

There. I do know *some* physics, even if I haven't taken a class on one. :p
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Drazo » Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:40 pm

hmm.....that's never happend to me before, i fill the glass up with scorching hot water to kill off any germs and then (after i tip it out) fill it up with cold water and pour it out.
Yes I do this every time I have a glass of something and yes I am fussy about germs and hygine in what I consume. :lila
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:04 pm

Wait a minute! You said you learned something? O.o Tell me, where do you store everything you learn if you dont have a brain (fyi Mega sold his brain to the devil to get his soul back, then turned around and sold his soul to Runescape for smithing levels and he doesnt remember what he originally sold his soul for).
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Megafrost » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:06 pm

Tell me, where do you store everything you learn if you dont have a brain

It gets stored in my hollow head, and then it eventually leaves to go find the devil who has my brain. :p

Wait, what did I learn again? :p
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Gigafrost » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:32 pm

The dragon wrote:hmm.....that's never happend to me before, i fill the glass up with scorching hot water to kill off any germs and then (after i tip it out) fill it up with cold water and pour it out.
Yes I do this every time I have a glass of something and yes I am fussy about germs and hygine in what I consume. :lila

But I don't think this is what Megafrost did, exactly. If I were to guess, he took something out of the dishwasher that was really warm...I mean thuroughly warmed. I'd imagine that in your case there is a little force involved but most likely insignificant.
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Roadkill » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:51 pm

it must have been an old glass, or very thin glass. i do it all the time and im safe (though we dont turn heat dry on anymore since it makes food stick)
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Toby » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:01 pm

Hahahahahaha did u Know that u can push the middle of a $2 Candain coin out if it hot and the outside is cold?
Formerly 'The Muffin Man'
Toby
Elite Guard

Postby Roadkill » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:58 pm

i would love to find a canadian $2 coin. i havent seen one in a while, and it was my favorite coin design.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:00 am

I think Canadian dollars is slightly off topic, no?

Dragon, do you --perhaps-- use hot and cold tap water to rinse your glass? If so, that wouldn't be a big enough difference. I suspect maybe Mega took a glass out of the dishwasher and poured cold tea from the refrigerator?

Here is another weird thing about dishes ... sometimes if you stack glasses or bowls inside of one another in the sink when they are wet they may go together ok but then just try to get them apart! It's like the one inside has suddenly gotten too big but I think it is some sort of vacuum principle.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby OmegaFrost » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:41 am

The problem isnt that the water is contracting and expanding the glass is for whe you poor freesing water into the glass the glass gets cold and contracts ever so slightley if you then heat up the glass (this works both ways mind you) then it may expand to quickly causing it to crack. Theoritcally if you change the temperature of anything too fast it will crack. So dont drink coffe then spontaneosly dump ice water into youre mouth or you will crack a tooth(it would require you to be really really fast for that to happen).

Daleks from another dimension!

"Mark... Mark... Mark... there are not ninjas following you around acting like their going to kill you... Just one! His name is Roger and hes really pissed!"
OmegaFrost
Frost Scientist
Frost Scientist

Return to Spammer's Market