the new american city

Let's face it - the only reason anyone ever reads Scientific American is to see how "shiny" the future is going to be.

the new american city

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:51 am

Chicago is gradually coming to resemble a traditional European city--Vienna or Paris in the nineteenth century, or, for that matter, Paris today. The poor and the newcomers are living on the outskirts. The people who live near the center--some of them black or Hispanic but most of them white--are those who can afford to do so.

read the rest
I, personally, think that's a great thing. Living in suburbia has very little utility. You have to drive to get anywhere, be it to the grocery store, gas station, or to work. Also, I think the whole idea of getting dream retirement homes with large properties isolates you from family members. As you get old, you might want to spend time with your kids (or have your kids / grandkids look after you if your health isn't all that spectacular), but if you're an hour away, or more, you're, quite simply, going to see them less than you would if you lived right next door to them.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Re: the new american city

Postby Rapscallion » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:54 pm

That's true. So would a condo be better? loljk
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:51 pm

A headline I read recently about Fannie Mae - mortgage lender not doing super well - makes me wonder if this whole inversion thing is a contributing factor...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:34 pm

Could be.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Return to All Things Shiny