laptop batteries that last 20 hours?

Let's face it - the only reason anyone ever reads Scientific American is to see how "shiny" the future is going to be.

laptop batteries that last 20 hours?

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:52 am

Apparently there's evidence to suggest that it can be done with carbon nano-wires:

http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2 ... 10908.html
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Re: laptop batteries that last 20 hours?

Postby Rapscallion » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:47 pm

Ever read the book "Prey?" ;) :p
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Catgirl » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:09 pm

20 hours? that would be amazing... my current battery lasts about 4.5 hours usually, shorter if i'm playing music along with everything else
"Don't fret precious, I'm here. Step away from the window, go back to sleep. Safe from pain and truth and choice and other poison devils. See, they don't give a **** about you like I do"
~"Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums" by A Perfect Circle
Catgirl
Townfolk

Location: in a cold concrete jungle of soul-crushing proportions

Postby Dracofrost » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:19 pm

So, how long til they're commercially viable for use in electric cars? You'd definately get a competitive range out of them, then...and with the economy of scale you'd get out of the mass production needed for a large run of cars, the price of the batteries would plummet just as fast as gas is skyrocketing. Now if only half of our energy production wasn't dependent upon coal...
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Catgirl » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:12 pm

electric cars really wouldn't reduce emissions that much, b/c the power plants still have to produce the energy. so basically it would be merely transferring the pollution production to a more concentrated area
"Don't fret precious, I'm here. Step away from the window, go back to sleep. Safe from pain and truth and choice and other poison devils. See, they don't give a **** about you like I do"
~"Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums" by A Perfect Circle
Catgirl
Townfolk

Location: in a cold concrete jungle of soul-crushing proportions

Postby Dracofrost » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:21 pm

Unfounded; nuclear, hydroelectric, solar, wind, and geothermal power plants have no toxic emissions. Also, even with fossil fuel burning power plants, it's vastly more efficient and economical to centralize emission reduction technologies on their smoke stacks instead of shoving all of that platinum into catalytic converters for millions of cars. Also, electric cars are significantly less maintenance intensive, saving on materials for spare parts as well as the energy and industrial output that would go into making them.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Return to All Things Shiny