creating explosions of unlimited magnitude

Let's face it - the only reason anyone ever reads Scientific American is to see how "shiny" the future is going to be.

creating explosions of unlimited magnitude

Postby TerraFrost » Wed May 23, 2007 7:24 pm

According to boosted fission weapons, on wikipedia, "the result of [the Teller-Ulam] innovation, "staging," means that an arbitrary number of fusion fuel "stages" can be put into any one weapon (and these can themselves induce fission in their uranium casings), allowing for a virtually unlimited upper yield on such a weapon." I thought that was kinda interesting.

It, incidently, suggests that the portrayals of nukes in Stargate Atlantis and SG-1 are kinda inaccurate. In those shows, they create multi-gigaton nukes with exotic materials. They then beam those nukes into position. However, per this, we can create multi-gigaton nukes, already. There's just not a lot of point in doing so, given the devastating effect they'd have.

Sure, the physical size of the bomb might be a hindering factor, but in SG-1, they've beamed away skyscrappers.

Commenting on Stargate's inaccuracies reminds me of a New Outer Limits episode, as well. I don't know the exact episode number, but, in it, someone invents a fusion bomb and then sorta blackmails the US with it. Of course, in reality, fusion bombs exist. That's how you get to the megaton range.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Wed May 23, 2007 8:01 pm

The main problems would be, as you stated, lack of usability due to bulk and mass. Not to mention the sheer complexity of thing. I don't think even the Tsar Bomba had beyond a 3 or 4 stage design. There's probably other practical limits that they don't get into, too.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Return to All Things Shiny