Second Class Assignment...

Displays of original artwork, handicrafts, musings and other talents

Moderator: Kaos

Second Class Assignment...

Postby Calintz » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:20 pm

Just a short story...

The Lin Chronicles: The Werewolf of Cold Lake

The lake of the town of Burlington was well noted for its appearance and shape. It was also the town’s pride and joy, and many, many events were held there during the course of the year. Cold Lake, it’s name, was incredibly serene and calm, its surface seeming untouched, even during violent stormy nights. Several hundred feet from the lakefront were several homes, most of them ranch-style. The Shawl family home was the closet to the lakefront, a two-story Victorian style house painted in the traditional whites and browns.
The day had progressed slowly for the Shawl family, as they did nothing out of the ordinary. Lin, the daughter of Gloria and Rick Shawl laid in her bed that night, staring blandly at the ceiling. She had been in a deep slumber and had been driven to the land of the living by something…what had it been? She remembered what as the sound repeated itself, coming in the direction of the lake.
It had been the howling that had awoken her. She sat upright in bed, the sound of the inhuman wail still ringing in her ears. ‘What in the world…’ she thought as she listened intently for the sound to repeat itself. After several minutes of silence, Lin lay back down, and was about to drift off again when the same howl rose up, this time sounding a lot closer. The last howl had seemed to come from the lake itself, this one was in the direction of her back yard. Lin knew she wouldn’t be able to get back to sleep without checking the sound out, so she got up, and grabbed a flashlight off of her nightstand. The stairs creaked lightly as she crept down them, the flashlight shaking slightly in her trembling hand. She reached the kitchen, and headed towards the back door. A cold breeze greeted her as she opened the main door, Lin wishing that she had brought a jacket along with her. She thumbed the flashlight on, and slowly opened the screen door.

The grass was wet with rain from the previous night, but Lin always kept her sandals by the steps leading from the back door. The flashlight beam scanned the brush lining the edge of the forest, the person or creature that made the sound not showing themselves. After a few tense moments of searching, Lin breathed a sigh of relief. Whatever had made the sound didn’t seem to have lingered. As she climbed the steps leading back to the kitchen, a rustling in the bushes to her left caught her attention. Lin shined the light towards the sound, and saw a large, dark shape fly out of the bushes and tear toward her. Without a second’s hesitation, Lin leaped off of the steps and landed in a roll on the grass. The dark shape had apparently headed to the other side of the forest, because Lin saw those bushes rustling as well. Taking a second to compose herself, Lin picked up her flashlight, and headed back towards the house, wondering what in the world was going on.

The next morning, Lin was out checking the edge of the forest again, to see if that dark shape she had seen light night had left anything behind. Nothing. She had been searching since 7, and it was almost 11:00 a.m. now. She returned to the house after searching the banks of Cold Lake, shivering. The breeze around the lake itself was cold and damp, despite the warm, humid summer air around the outside area. Her father was chopping wood blocks as she emerged into the backyard. By the looks of it, he had been at it for a good while. There were large sweat stains on the dark blue short-sleeved t-shirt that he was wearing, under the armpits and on his back. She walked over to him, slipping her camera around her neck.
“Hot, Dad?” she asked, with a small smile. He grinned back at her. “Yeah,” he replied, setting his axe next to the pile of split blocks he had been chopping. “Where were you?” he asked then. Lin was hasty, perhaps a bit too much so, in her reply. “Just checking out the forest.” Her father looked skeptical still, but went on. “Take anything good?” He nodded at the camera slung around her neck. Lin played it off. “Not really. Same old squirrels and such…I think I got a glimpse of a deer across the lake, but whatever it was left before I could shoot it.” Her father nodded. “I’ll be another half hour with this. Randy Stevens is offering handsomely for a few bundles.” Lin nodded and headed back into the house.

That night, Lin sat at her window, a pair of binoculars pressed to her eyes. She was waiting, hoping, that the same…whatever it had been would show its face tonight. She threw a glance at the moon. It was a clear night tonight, so Lin could see it’s bright, ocular roundness shining over her side of the house. The snapping of a twig in the yard below caught her attention. Her gaze snapped back to the backyard. She saw someone moving in the semi-darkness of the yard. It was a human someone, and this really touched Lin’s curiosity. Knowing that this very well could get her in trouble or even worse, killed, she had to try. She grabbed a jacket out of her closet, and snuck downstairs, quietly pushing open both doors. The person was at the edge of the forest now, covered in what look like a muddy-brown hooded traveling cloak. The person did not seem to notice Lin, and continued walking through the dark trees. Lin followed.

The person walked through the forests for a few minutes until it reached rectangular, dusty clearing. The moon shined brightly above the clearing, bathing everything in silvery light. Lin crouched behind a large rose bush at the edge of the clearing, watching silently. The person tossed the hood of its cloak off, and turned around, facing Lin, looking up at the moon. Lin nearly let out a scream. It was her best friend from school, David Wilson. He had been absent from school for nearly a month now, though, now that she really thought about it, her teachers did not seem to mind nor mention him. The sound of rustling caught her attention.
David had removed his cloak, and was standing in the clearing, wearing nothing but a pair of dark gray shorts, and a swinging black medallion hanging around his neck, in the shape of an infinite. He turned his quiet gaze towards the glowing, silver moon, and just simply stared. For a few minutes Lin wondered what he was expecting, when something happened.
David had begun to shake violently, each of his limbs twitching in unison. He crouched down on all fours, as thick, spiky strands of dark brown hair began to sprout from everywhere along his body. His face elongated into a snarling wolf snout, the razor-sharp, jagged teeth visible. His feet and hands spread into wolf paws and hind legs. David stood up, now much taller than he normally was, nearly 7 feet in height. His face turned towards the direction in which Lin was, and Lin drew back, hoping she hadn’t been seen. David raised his head towards the moon and let out a blood-curling howl. The sound resounded throughout the dark forest, echoing off the thick trees. As David lowered his head, Lin caught a glimpse of round, bright red eyes. Lin sat in her bush, horrorstruck at what she was seeing. She did not even notice the position of her hand, which was resting atop her camera. As she shifted her weight again, her hand depressed the shutter, letting out the familiar bright flash of blue-white light. David’s fur covered face snapped towards her position, emitting a low, guttural growls. Lin tried to step back, but stumbled over the roots of the bush and fell out of it, falling hard against the cold, rocky, forest floor. David then began to walk slowly towards her. His mad red eyes not blinking, his gaze never faltering. Lin backed up, not stopping until her back hit that of a tree. She stared David straight in the eyes; sweat droplets sliding down her face, her breath coming in short, ragged gasps. David had come close enough now to smell the warm, sour smell of his breath, washing over her like a wave. She choked, still not removing her gaze from David’s.
It was then, at that moment, which he pounced. Lin shrieked and dove out of the way, landing in a rolling crouch a few feet away. David’s pounce had carried him right into the tree, breaking it cleanly in half. Lin shivered, realizing that that could have been her. David was running full speed at her now, causing Lin to move again. She dashed into the clearing, trying to decide of what she was going to do, when she felt her legs whipped out from under her. David had swiped at her, knocking her clean off her feet. Lin hit the ground hard, tasting blood. Before she could get up, David was atop her, growling ferociously in her face. Lin was petrified, her cut lip throbbing. She was going to die, and at the hands of her best friend. Of course he did not know what he must be doing, his mind completely animal. Lin stared directly at David, watching the pendant swing back and forth in front of her. Wait a minute…Lin snatched the black infinite in her clammy hands, and in one fluid motion, ripped it off of David’s thick neck. His red eyes were now rounded in surprise, and he once again let out that eerie howl, and began to tremble violently again. There was a blinding flash of light, and Lin felt herself slide into deep, dark blackness.

Lin awoke to feel a heavy body lying atop of hers. With a start, she realized that it was David, and he was back to normal, his dirty blonde hair rustling in the night breeze. She carefully rolled David onto his back, and sat up. She felt like she had been out for hours, when…She checked her watch. It had only been five minutes since she had apparently been out. She looked over at David. He was also out cold, but still breathing, chest raising and falling slowly. Staring at him, she wondered how in the world she was going to carry him back to the house, when he let out a groan and slowly opened his eyes.
“L-L-Lin?” he asked, squinting at her.
“Yeah, it’s me David,” Lin replied, smiling. Lin helped David to stand up, his arm draped over her shoulder. The two began to walk, slowly, back through the woods. After a few moments, Lin spoke.
“What was the deal with that whole, uh, werewolf thing?” David stared at the ground for a moment, and Lin feared that she had offended him.
“It’s part of my family,” he said solemnly. “Every generation is to wear the pendant for their entire youth, or, in laymen’s terms, until I reach the age of 18. Not to do so is to face death.” Lin stared at him, shocked out of her mind.
“This sounds like a curse,” she said, finding her words. David nodded. “Yes, it is. Been in my family since the middle ages.” Lin thought of something just then.
“Did the teachers know about this?” David smirked actually then. “Kind of. My parents of course know, and they informed the principal that I get a…condition for a few days of certain weeks each month. He understood, and posed no problems with it. Told all of the teachers that same thing, and they were to act as though I was just on sick leave.” Lin smiled too. The principal wasn’t usually the type of guy to understand when a student was suffering. The portly middle-aged graying man would also complain and hiss at you for the dumbest things. To see him understand David’s predicament was in fact laughable. The pair finally emerged from the dark forest back into Lin’s backyard. Lin led him inside and upstairs to the spare guest room.
“You can sleep her tonight. You’d better be out of here by the morning though. Don’t want my parents to freak out or anything.” David smiled at her and nodded, dropping onto the cot. Lin closed the door, her mind running over the events from tonight. As she climbed into bed, she smiled at the fact that she had saved not only her own life, but also that of a friend.

The next morning Lin awoke early, dashing in to check on David. He was gone, but a folded up piece of paper lied atop the pillow. Lin unfolded it, and read the note.

Dear Lin,

Thank you for your help. I cannot tell you how much it meant to me. Thanks to you, the curse has been broken. The pendant of Saudi has to be worn the entire night, and if I had tried to remove it, I would have been killed instantly. But since you did it, the curse was cancelled out, setting me free.
With that gone, I can finally return to school, and live my normal life again.
Thanks again Lin, for everything.

Sincerely,

David
Lin placed the not upon the bed again, smiling to herself. She was glad David could live a normal life again, and be happy. She threw a glance at the wall clock, the time there reading nearly 7:00. Soon her mother would be up, and would start cooking breakfast. Lin walked out of the guest room, ready to tackle the day’s adventures, whatever those may be.

END
"L'amore è la nostra emozione più conservata. Sentirlo, saperlo, sperimentarlo. Lei non lo rammaricherà mai."

"Love is our most cherished emotion. Feel it, know it, experience it. You will never regret it."
Calintz
Townfolk

Postby chaotic century » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:54 am

umm ok i didnt read it all couse im lazy hehe. but what does this have to due with a class assignment
I am Chaotic Century King of the PointyShiney!
"this world is made of! this world is made of.. LOVE and PEACE!

neero is my master

it is foolish to listen to someone who will not listen to you
chaotic century
Heroic Guard

Postby Calintz » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:07 pm

We had to write a short story, pretty straightforward.... :8
"L'amore è la nostra emozione più conservata. Sentirlo, saperlo, sperimentarlo. Lei non lo rammaricherà mai."

"Love is our most cherished emotion. Feel it, know it, experience it. You will never regret it."
Calintz
Townfolk

Postby chaotic century » Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:37 pm

oo lol my friend had to do that it was only sopposed to b like 2 pargrphs but it ended up like 5 pages lol he gets carried away sometimes but it was all ripped off from a bunch of anime
I am Chaotic Century King of the PointyShiney!
"this world is made of! this world is made of.. LOVE and PEACE!

neero is my master

it is foolish to listen to someone who will not listen to you
chaotic century
Heroic Guard

Return to Rogue's Gallery