Down in the Library of the Monastery of Fire

Down in the Library of the Monastery of Fire

Postby Tar-Herunole » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:50 am

Library?, why we go to such a boring place? Complained Kiki as they went down the circular stairs Can’t we go to the kitchen instead? They must have sugar! And honey! Mmm! Sugar!
It is funny how you magic creatures are born with so much magic and however know so little about the mechanics of magic said Erelen like thinking to himself. A magic library is everything but a boring place. It can be very entertaining and even a dangerous place!
King Erelen, it surprises me you, a warrior King, know so much about Magic said Serpente
Master Serpente, you surely know that, like my father, I would rather reign over my people in peace than in War, and even before being a man of arms, I was educated as a wizard and as a student of the ways of nature, answered Erelen smiling
Still, Kings normally trust their Wizards and their Priests to run their magic libraries for them replied Serpente
In this you are right and that is the reason why I would appreciate you will show me the way to what we are looking for, master Serpenete asked politely Erelen
I am afraid that is not possible, for we only serve our superiors, and myself I only run errands for Lord Innos, Lord Asheron and Master Rao. You will have to find your own way. However, don’t despair, for this Monastery is not only a place of praying, but mainly a place of learning, and I will guide you in your personal search. Saying that Serpente opened the heavily adornated door that led to the Magic Library. Here we are. And where do you think we should start our search?
Erelen took a moment to think and replied with confidence: Well, I guess that the Eye of Innos, the artefact we are looking, is not a making of the arts of the Wise, but a gift of the Holy, and therefore I think we should look in the books of the clergy, more than in those of the Mages.
Your knowledge surprises me again, and maybe I had underestimated you, Lord Erelen. But the answer is not complete. In what kind of book would you think we should search? Asked again Serpente.
I think we could be lost in books of prayers or books of legends, and the search could be too lengthy. I would suggest looking in some kind of encyclopaedical work about amulets, artefacts, or powerful holy objects. guessed Erelen
That’s a better answer than many of our Wizards would give, conceded Serpente. But still have its flaw, for what kind of information should we find in an encyclopaedical work?
The description and history of such objects. said confused Erelen. I do not fully understand where is the flaw of my answer Master Serpente.
What is the purpose of your search? Do you want to know more about the “Eye of Innos”? asked Serpente
Yes, but mainly no. I see your wisdom Master Serpente, my goal is to find the “Eye of Innos”, not only to know more about it. An encyclopaedical work would only tell me about what has been in the past, not about the present or about the future. And it’s in the future when I am meant to find the amulet, if I am to find it at all! I should look in a book of prophecies! conceded surprised Erelen.
And now I see also your wisdom replied smiling Serpente I think you are worth, like no many others even in my order, to attempt to consult the Minor Book of Prophecies of Innos, for the Major Book is reserved only to the greatests. And even that is a risk that you may not want to take, for the book of fire is a dangerous artefact itself and has a mind of his own, and you would be tested beyond your imagination.
It’s your duty indeed to warn me, my friend Serpente, but I guess you know that my answer cannot be other: Success or Death. And, yes, I am aware death may await me if I am not fully worth of the reading of the book.
Go then, and may Innos be with you. The lectern is the phoenix shaped in the middle of the room. concluded Serpente

Erelen hold the lectern with one hand at each side and concentrated. A flame appeared in front of him and he heard a voice in his head: Who are thou, and why thou dare to disturb us?
They know me as Erelen, the lonely Star, and I am in the Quest for the “Eye of Innos”
He felt a stare that looked inside his mind and inside his heart.
Thou are worth, but thou are not ready yet. Desist now and save thy life. said the voice.
It’s not my time, but the time of the world that brings me here, and I cannot desist for much I have now to respond before the peoples of Dereth said Erelen. I beg you allow me to read from your pages.
Fool! Show then that thy mind is as strong as thy words! Shouted the voice. And a flaming book appeared on the lectern. Hold it!
Erelen hold the book trying to open it and he felt his hand was burning, for the book was on fire. The pain was unbearable, but Erelen kept his grip. Then a gelid feeling, as if his arm was beginning to froze, added to the burning in his hand. As the ice advanced towards its body, he started to feel a poisoned air around him, so he stopped to breath. Soon the ice had raised his chest and his whole body was in flames. It was like being attacked by all dragons at once, and the pain was clouding his senses. He realized it was too late to desist. And the book was still closed. With his arms still on the book, he felt on his knees, and began to lose consciousness. His last thoughts were: I have failed… again… and he saw clearly in his mind the remote image of the day his parents were slain by the dragon. He felt again paralyzed by the spell, immobile seeing how his father charged against the dragon, and how the same sword he was carrying now failed his father for the first time, not cutting through the dragon’s skin… And he felt again how he, unable to react, was failing again those he loved… But then his father, as if taking life of himself inside the memory, turned to him and said: It’s not for you my son, and it’s not for me, your mother or your brother either. It is for all the Noldor and all the people of Khadrim and Dereth that have trusted you. You must survive. And then, as the rest of the memory faded, his father stood alone, tall and proud, and Lord Khadrim appeared by his side adding: And my ring is with you, and it will give you the strength to save again my city…and then, the already forgotten figure of the last of the renowned Kings, Gil-Galad appeared by their side, and Erelen reminded the happiness of his childhood. And then another figure, even taller and prouder, of an elf he had not meet, but that by the arms in his shield he could recognize as Turgon of Gondolin….
And he start to feel, in the storm of pain of despair and pain that his body was, a soothing feeling in the finger where he wore the Ring of Khadrim, and in the waist were his sword was hanging. And then, like an eruption of Magma, boiling air come from his lungs and reached his mouth as he shouted
: I am Erelen, but also I will be known as Tar-Herunole, High Lord of Knowledge, and in the name of Lord Innos, in the name of Lord Asheron and in the name of all my ancestors that wore my ring and held my sword, and that felt fighting for the light, I beg you, and if helpless, I command you, to show me what is written!
And then with an explosion of light the book opened and absorbed Erelen, and Serpente was with him. And the book was not a book of inert ink, but a book of living words. And he could see many things that have been and that he only fully understood now. And he could see many things of the present, and he could see the true might of Rao, marching with Cragstone, Rosa and Wolfie. And he could see his sword shining again as he had seen it in the underworld, and many other things that could be and others that were meant to be…
High King of the Noldor in Middle-Earth
Honorary Knight of the Pointy Shiney
"... All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die"
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Rao » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:06 pm

"A know where the Eye is." Serpentes said. "Gather you things, we leave at dawn."Serpentes said leaving the library.
Tell the Spartans, Stranger passing by,
That here, Obedient to their laws, We lie,
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby Tar-Herunole » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:37 am

Erelen packed his things and readied his horse Mornaur for the journey. He was sure to take some sugar in case he needed to apeace Kiki and he went to the Prince of Hebian-to and to the other captains of the city of Khadrim. He departed orders to keep the strengthening of the city and to start preparing arms, animals, machines and artifacts for an open field battle. He also quickly read one note Sulhen had brought from the City, where the High Alchemist anounced thay had found the way of stracting the "Stone of Ice" from the Ice Drake. It could only be done in the Winter solstice night, when the night was longest and the cold at its worst. Fortunately It would be ready for the spring campaign. Those were good news.
Erelen then went where Serpente had asked him to appoint, and said to Serpente:

Lead the way if you please my wise friend!
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Rao » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:50 am

They journeyed through the snowy forest. After traveling for around 5 or 6 hours. They came to three large stones. The Circle of Fire it was. "I am glad I came, for only in the presence of a fire magician can one see these three stones. In the middle of the three stones, there was a little stone bench. On it lay an amulet, it was broken, and the jewel in the middle was dim. "As I thought, It has been broken. Very well, Here is what you must do, You need to go to Belgost, Ask Felgrin, the master blacksmith there to replace the steel setting for the jewel, it doesnt matter if makes a new one, the jewel is important, but must be in dwarven steel. After this, Go to old Nanto, there is the last Magician of Adanos. Vatras, Tell him that we must fix the eye of innos, Tell him to come here. Then, the last of your tasks, Go all the way to the east coast at Port Amad, four miles south of the city, there is a large old Demon Tower, Xardas, the necromancer is there. Tell him of the situation, He will come as well, make sure he knows Vatras is coming. Now hurry!! This will take a month or so, so you must go now to Belgost" Serpentes said.
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby Tar-Herunole » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:27 am

I foresee the quest won't be only long, but also full of challenges, so I would depart with no more words. But as long as time is concerned, Mornaur, who is called the Black Fire, and is one of the Mearas in which blood shines the fire of Innos, will make of the weeks, days and of the days, hours.
If anyone of my friend wants to join me in my quest, tell them to meet me in Old Nanto in the morning of the sixth day!

Let's ride then my horse to Belgost, for the meeting with the Lord of the Dwarves, will take place sooner than we had forecasted. And in this journey make of your journey a safe one, for the jewels that we carry will be jewels told in songs!

As he said that, Mornaur start to gallop in the fashion that his name referred to, like a speedy ball of black fire, and Erelen taking out his sword, sang a spell of invisibility, to protect their journey from undesired spies until his arrival to Belgost.

OOC: He is not only carring the broken Eye of Innos, but also the jewels they extracted from the lower part of the Ice Drake and the WainNauglamir, the New Necklace of the Dwarves, where the most beutiful of those jewels had been united in a mithril and golden necklace, as a present for the Lord of Belgost in gratitude for his assistance on the fortifying of Khadrim and Hebian-To
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Rao » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:42 am

OOC~ Herunole, You can post in the other thread now. You dont have to wait for me. you need to get to Belgost before i do anything.
Rao
Elite Guard

Return to Halls of Dereth