Guest Comics...

Like comics? Then this is the place for you. You can read other's comics, or even share some of your own.

Moderator: Gigafrost

Guest Comics...

Postby Gigafrost » Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:37 pm

Pretty much, I was talking on AIM yesterday and I was asked when I was going to have guest authors (ie, other authors making strips to appear in my comic). Well, I hadn't really thought about it before, but I think that I could actually introduce some guest comics pretty easily, actually, making it a part of the storyline while at the same time making it unaffect my comic's universe in any way.

Here's the thing; *I* cannot make the guest comics. Y'all have to. Any of you. You can just PM me to express interest and I can in return give you many sprites from my comic! So far, I guess I'll set a limit to 8 comics per guest-author. Be warned that your comics will be reduced to 256 color GIF files when they're displayed.

So, what can you do in your 1-8 strips? Anything you want, pretty much. If there's a word that I would never use in my comic, though, it might get editted out. If it includes any nudity or severe sexual jokes, they might be editted or rejected. If you use it to insult another member on-line, the entry will be ignored. Other than that, you could have the characters act in any way you want, you could have them look however you want, heck, if you already have your own comic you could even do your own little "crossover." You don't even have to use sprites, if you want. You could draw the characters yourself!

Basically, you have until the current story arc ends (in maybe a month to a month and a half) to PM me and to make your guest comic(s). I hope to hear from y'all. :)
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Nyufrost » Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:34 pm

Well .... I have four thoughts.

1. Giving everyone who replies 8 strips could really take a long period of time away from you yourself making any comics. I mean, if 12 people reply then that is 3 months. Or, were you going to accumulate them and only use them when you really need a week off now and then? hehe ... that way it might be 5 years before some people would see their creation posted. O.o

So, I am sort of curious as to how you planned to do that but otherwise it sounds like fun so do I still need to PM you even tho I told you on AIM that I wanted to make one?
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Gigafrost » Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:59 pm

My intention isn't for everybody to do submit 8 comics, but to let them submit anywhere from 1 to 8 comics. I'll plan on doing them all at once. Maybe I'll just speed things up if there ends up being too many.
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Nyufrost » Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:05 pm

Oops ... I said I had four thoughts and really only had two since I asked you two of them on AIM. *feels silly* :oops:

Anyways ... do I still need to PM you? I know that prolly seems like a dumb question but I dunno if you plan to keep track of the requests you get that way or by some other way.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Gigafrost » Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:35 pm

You don't need to PM me. I gave you all the majorly important info via IM.
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Nuxius » Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:08 am

Hmmm, this sounds interesting, lemme see if I can think up of some good ideas before I have you send me the stuff though. Hate to have you do that then me not come up with anything. :lol
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Dracofrost » Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:32 pm

Well, I think I'd like to take a shot at this; if you don't mind.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby OmegaFrost » Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:00 am

Hmmmmm..... I might be interested....

Daleks from another dimension!

"Mark... Mark... Mark... there are not ninjas following you around acting like their going to kill you... Just one! His name is Roger and hes really pissed!"
OmegaFrost
Frost Scientist
Frost Scientist

Postby Nyufrost » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:08 am

Giga, can you please explain to me what it is that I do wrong?

This happens to me EVERY time I have ever tried to work with supposedly transparent gifs which is why I was never able to make a comic even when you used to want me to try it.

Obvioulsy, Mega, Chrono, Omega, Battle and others have NO difficulty but all I do is sit here is total frustration not being able to accomplish step 1. It's really very upsetting.

I open the sprite sheet. I use the selection tool to make a box around the sprite I want to use. At this next stage, it doesn't matter whether I copy it or cut it because once I paste it onto the new image, the square around the sprite is solid white. It doesn't matter if I paste it as a new layer, a new image or a transparent image. The result is the same. A white square.

I have attached an example.

If you can't tell me what I am doing wrong, then perhaps Mega, Omega, Chrono, Battle or someone else will be willing and able to explain.

Thank you.
Attachments
comicexample.jpg
comicexample.jpg (18.78 KiB) Viewed 8500 times
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Nyufrost » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:39 am

Oh, and just in case someone is going to tell me that you have to save each sprite as a new image with a transparent bg, yeah I tried it that way too and get the exact same result.

Even tho it SAYS it's a transparent gif, it displays as something that is a white square and not just on my program but also if I post it ... which I tried and deleted.

Anyway, here is how it looks when I save it as an individual transparent gif and try to use it.
Attachments
Image9.jpg
Image9.jpg (11.87 KiB) Viewed 8493 times
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby taenadar » Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:21 am

are you using paint shop pro?

"If you drink to forget, please pay before you drink"
taenadar
Elite Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:49 am

Yes ... so is everyone else and they glide through it effortlessly. I seem to be the only one who has this problem. :\
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby taenadar » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:25 pm

you see something like a magic stick somewhere, click that and then click on the background of the image, when you've done that do (i guess it was) selections -> invert and it will select the image alone (so not the background). then copy the selected thing and paste it where you want.

dunno if this is what you meant but a well :p

"If you drink to forget, please pay before you drink"
taenadar
Elite Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:56 pm

Thanks Taenadar!!!! ^_^

That seems to work just fine! :thumbs:

So, Giga ... how would that work with the frame one? You said to get a background all I have to do is place the frame over the bg and select it but all that does is make a big white square in the middle.
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Gigafrost » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:18 pm

The white square isn't part of the frame. :p

Lemme see, a few helpful hints would be...

1) Increase the color depth of the GIF files you use to the highest possible....they're only gifs because anybody can open a GIF file...

2) Use the Magic Marker tool Taenadar mentioned. You can actually use both tools together. Holding SHIFT and selecting an area will ADD that area to the current selection. Holding CTRL and selecting an area will REMOVE that area from the current selection.

3) Erm...I can't think of a 3. I guess I'll just mention for everybody that I use Arial size 8 for my text...that seems to be a pretty common question...

4) Oh yeah, remember you can ask me for scenarios I've used in my comic if you want. I've kept almost all of them (although it's possible I've not kept some...)
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Next

Return to Comic Relief