questions about blocking open proxies

Advertise a phpBB hack or request help with an existing one.

Moderator: TerraFrost

questions about blocking open proxies

Postby aardvarkfreak » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:48 pm

My question doesn't specifically relate to your phpBB mod. I am the author of a script called Aardvark Topsites PHP and I'm currently evaluating all the different ways I can try to eliminate spam. A user pointed me towards your mod and asked if I could implement a feature like that in the next version.

So... I have a few basic questions. I would appreciate it if you could give me some answers.

How reliable is this? How many false positives do you get? How many bots does it miss?

How portable is this method? Will it be easy to write code to block open proxies that does not rely on any external programs or non-standard PHP features?

Would you recommend that a feature like this should be enabled by default in a script like mine?
aardvarkfreak
Traveler

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:53 pm

How reliable is this? How many false positives do you get? How many bots does it miss?

To know how many false positives one is getting, you kinda have to have way to identify false positives, heh. That said, though, unless your server is oddly configured (an oddly configured server can yield 100% false positives), it should yield none. The way this MOD basically works is that it tries to use something as a proxy. If it can't, it's not a proxy.

As for many bots it misses... personally, I think there are a fair amount of spammers that are actually people. Not all spam, of course, but probably a fair amount. Maybe 10-20%? I have no idea.

Also, it doesn't detect CGI proxies.

How portable is this method? Will it be easy to write code to block open proxies that does not rely on any external programs or non-standard PHP features?

I'd say it's rather portable. Random server configs can mess it up, but I think those are the exception rather than the rule.

Would you recommend that a feature like this should be enabled by default in a script like mine?

It's hard to say, really. Fast proxy detection will make the script more CPU intensive, for sure. PHP5 provides ways to alieviate this but PHP4 doesn't.

I'm preparing an update to the phpBB MOD but subsequent proxy detectio nstuff I do will probably be stand-alone and require PHP5.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to phpBB Hacks and MODs