Proxy 2.2.1. not working with phpbb 2.0.21?

Advertise a phpBB hack or request help with an existing one.

Moderator: TerraFrost

Proxy 2.2.1. not working with phpbb 2.0.21?

Postby WillTRiker » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:42 pm

Hi JF,

I've had your script installed since ages, but after we upgraded to 2.0.21 today I'm running into a problem.

I've identified this piece of code as the source of evil

#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
includes/usercp_register.php
#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
if ( $mode == 'register' && !isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['agreed']) && !isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['agreed']) )
#
#-----[ BEFORE, ADD ]-----------------------------------
#
$start_conditions = $mode == 'register' && !$userdata['session_logged_in'];
$check_conditions = isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['submit']);
include_once($phpbb_root_path.'includes/functions_proxy.'.$phpEx);
scan4proxies($user_ip, $lang['proxy_reg_block']);

After I did this and tried to sign up with a test account the normal page with information and the links if you older then 13 year yadda yadda ... wouldn't show up. While this is inconventieant in itself as it means you don't have a link to the actual profile where you can register an account there was a far worse consequence as it seems that if you hit the register button your IP would be auto-banned instantly.

Any chance you can take a look at what is going wrong here?

I'm pretty sure that it's that bit of coding because as soon as I remove it everything works as it should.
WillTRiker
Traveler

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:12 am

I've recently learned that some hosts use network address translation to route all socket connections through a common IP address. ie.

60.60.60.60 opens a socket connection to 70.70.70.70 or 80.80.80.80 and it instead connects to 90.90.90.90. 90.90.90.90 then forwards these requests to the appropriate IP address. In that way, 90.90.90.90 is a proxy. And while to every computer other than 60.60.60.60, it may not allow access, to 60.60.60.60, it allows open access. Thus, to 60.60.60.60, it's an open proxy, though to you and me it isn't. Then, everything will be detected as a proxy and there's nothing I can do about it. Network address translation is done by routers - not by the computer trying to open the socket connection.

So, anyway, this is what I suspect has happened. Realization that such things happen has made me conclude that when 3.0.0 is finished, no future versions will be developed.

I can attempt to confirm this if you give me FTP access, but if what I suspect is indeed true, then there's not going to be a thing I can do to fix it.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby WillTRiker » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:44 pm

You have a PM with the relevant info.
WillTRiker
Traveler

Return to phpBB Hacks and MODs