Inmate Sues Prison for Spiders

From the world's stupidest criminals to the hottest court cases, you will find something interesting to ponder here.

Inmate Sues Prison for Spiders

Postby Nyufrost » Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:32 am

Yick! I hate spiders almost as much as frivolous lawsuits. :MIB

I wonder how the envelopes full of dead spiders are supposed to prove anything? They could have collected the bodies of ones killed by the fumigation, no? The lawyer should give them some disposable cameras and let them snap pictures of real living spiders if she wants to get anywhere with this case.
DAVISBORO, Ga. - An inmate is suing the prison where she is serving a 10-year sentence for burglary and aggravated assault because she says the facility is infested with spiders.

Marcia Wall's lawsuit in federal court in Atlanta says she and other inmates at the Washington State Prison in Davisboro have been bitten repeatedly by spiders and that medical officials have denied them proper treatment.

"They live here with us," Wall said. "We've got to share this place with them. But it's getting crazy."

Department of Corrections spokeswoman Scheree Lipscomb would not comment on the lawsuit, but said the 1,000-bed prison is fumigated once a month by a pest control company.

"We don't want anyone to get bit by spiders," Lipscomb said. "We're responsible for their health as well as their well-being. Any time they let us know, we try to correct the problem that is happening."

Wall's lawyer, McNeill Stokes, said inmates have sent him envelopes filled with dead spiders as proof of the infestation.

Wall and other inmates want prison officials to seal faulty window screens, clean up webs around the prison grounds and take their medical claims seriously.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Gigafrost » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:44 am

Ummm, if they needed to be treated for a spider bite, and they weren't, they'd be dead. Otherwise, why would they need to be treated?
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Nyufrost » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:50 am

hehe ... true, I hadn't really thought of that.

Of course, the most deadly spiders ...black widows and brown recluses... aren't known for being aggressive indoor types but you're right in that the women would most likely die from such bites and if they were bitten while outdoors and became ill, then I'm sure they would be treated.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Gigafrost » Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:00 am

I wouldn't think the brown recluse would bite outside, since it prefers dark and dusty areas, as I've read before. People get bitten by Brown Recluse spiders while going through closets, crawlspaces, attics, and basements. It's because, well, they're dark, and closets can get dusty if left alone long enough.

At least, that's what I've read about them.
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Nyufrost » Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:48 am

Yeah, I've read that, too ... I was thinking more about black widows hiding under rocks and boards and other outdoor debris. However, my supervisor at my previous job had a black widow under his desk once!

Spiders wouldn't know inmates from wardens and office employees so I think they would be a problem for them as well if there was a clear and present danger with them.

I wonder if this facility is one of those with actual cells with bars or if it's one of the more low security ones with rooms? Either way, I can't really imagine they would be good hiding places for brown recluses.
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:59 am

inmate cells might not be very well cleaned, whereas wardens cells might... maybe...

also, i think i once saw a black widow... or atleast something that looked like the red hour glass black widows are supposed to have...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:14 am

I've only ever seen black widow spiders outside, though they seem to usually like being under under-hangs, like under a picnic pavilion thing, or under a front porch, in the grass immediatly in front of porch.

So judging from that it wouldn't be surprising if they were bitten immediatly outside...
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Nyufrost » Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:13 am

Well, I guess it all just goes back to what Giga said ... whether the spiders are indoors or outdoors, if they bit the inmates and they didn't treated, they would be dead. :p

Unless they weren't poisonous spiders ... then why would they need treatment?

Very confusing for such a simple-seeming issue, eh? :p
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby OmegaFrost » Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:46 pm

Just becasue a spider isnt deadly doesnt meen that it cant be seriously in need to be watched. SOme spiders could make you feel rather sick while others may be similar to a fire ant bite so multiple of those weak poisoned bites could be very bad for the inmates and not kill them but it would make them have difficulties. Also though I dont think that there are turantulas around there that even though a bite from one of them wont kill it shall still be incredibly painful.

Daleks from another dimension!

"Mark... Mark... Mark... there are not ninjas following you around acting like their going to kill you... Just one! His name is Roger and hes really pissed!"
OmegaFrost
Frost Scientist
Frost Scientist

Postby Dev » Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:16 pm

im never gonna go outside.... with you all talking about,i getting freaking scared and UGHH! i can just imagine a spider on my face! ahhhh!!!!!!!!!!! im gonna have nightmares for years!!!!!!!!!!!
Fosty wrote:"My fake plants died because I forgot to pretend to water them."
- Mitch Hedberg

CrustyPunk wrote:Talk to Orion. He plays gee-tar."

Funny men
Dev
Elite Guard

Location: low-temperature penis - cold cock. It actually means the stock of a weapon.

Return to The Nifelheim Justice League