Kobe Bryant Sexual Assault Case

From the world's stupidest criminals to the hottest court cases, you will find something interesting to ponder here.

Kobe Bryant Sexual Assault Case

Postby Nyufrost » Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:26 am

One of the top news stories of the past two weeks has been that of Colorado vs. Kobe Bryant. It's turning into a real battle in the media and promises to be an intersting trial so I thought I would give some of the details in case anyone is intersted in discussing it.

The Defendant
Kobe Bryant, 24, is a professional basketball player and a 5-time NBA All-Star. He is the star player and leading scorer for the Los Angeles Lakers and has been a fan favorite since he began playing in 1996. He is one of the few players to forego college and sign directly out of high school. He was the youngest NBA player in history when he debuted at age 18. He is also rated the 3rd best product endorser behind Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan. His image has been that of "boy next door" wholesome idol who has never had so much as a parking ticket.

The Accuser
Katelyn is a 19-year-old college student and hotel concierge. The former high school cheerleader reportedly has a past history of mental problems including two suicide attempts at least one of which left her hospitalized. Her friends have talked to the media repeatedly and her name, address, telephone number and email address have been posted and published. Her parents say she has received death threats from zealous Kobe Bryant fans.

Interestingly, a former classmate of Katelyn's has been wrongly identified as Bryant's accuser and internet sites have popped up posting her photos, It is said the topless photos being passed around the internet have been altered placing her head on a topless model's body. Here is an article about THAT

The Charge
Katelyn claims Kobe Bryant made a call to the hotel concierge desk and asked for someone to show him around the posh hotel in which he was staying while undergoing knee surgery. Katelyn claims Bryant forced himself on her sexually and "went all the way" against her will.

The Defense
Bryant admits he had sex with Katelyn but claims it was consentual.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:54 pm

well, in texas, there's news about some college student killing his ex-roommate, and a player for the baylor basket ball team... that's being talked about a bit...

anyways, this sounds to me as if it's one of those things where the girl probably said no, but probably only muttered it, and even then, probably only said it when he was poised to do it...

also, what struke me most about this was kobe bryants bail... this was what caused me to bash the whole bail thing in another thread, somewhere... his bail was set at 200,000, iirc, and... he paid it off, of course, as any rich person would do. but blah! bails at 200,000 are JOKES for ultra rich people!!!
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:58 pm

Heh ... his bail was only $25,000 which is even worse. :\

I read a different account of how Kobe met Katelyn today so I have no idea which one is accurate. This article says he met her while milling around the hotel lobby (where the concierge desk is located) and the alleged assault took place in his room after she got off duty at 11 pm.

That makes it sound more like he flirted with her, she was interested, went to his room willingly and --like you said-- probably said "no" at the last second.

THIS ARTICLE contains the bail and new "how they met" info.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:59 am

and what's sad... people like kobe bryant can pretty much make money. all they have to do is sign something and it's money. kobe bryant might as well have a printing press that allows to make $50 dollar bills. now granted, 50 is a far way away from 25000, but... it's a lot closer then the fractional fraction of a penny my sig is worth - and anyways, it's not like that's a problem for rich people, either, heh. stupid justice...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:14 pm

Well, in what promises to be the biggest media circus since the OJ Simpson trial, Kobe Bryant will appear in court for the first time today for his arraignment.

They are expecting satellite trucks from all the major news reporting agencies as well as a platoon of local and wire reporters.

Bryant's lawyers tried to get him out of having to appear and tried to have cameras banned from the courtroom but the judge overruled them on both issues.

Go judge! :thumbs:

Now, it is rather annoying what I heard several TV lawyers and commentators say .... "poor Kobe, just look what this will do to his career."

Excuse me? If he is guilty of rape then who cares what it does to his career? O_O

Of course, if he isn't, then I doubt this will have any big impact on his career. He will still have his same position and be paid the same and it certainly won't effect his playing ability.
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Nyufrost » Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:23 am

I know there isn't much interest in this topic here but it *might* interest some to know that Fleabargain was on FoxNews tonight as an expert legal commentator on the Kobe Bryant case.

Go Fleabargain ... :thumbs:
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Neerowolf » Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:36 pm

Why did he do it? I think his wife's hot! Also, it does seem that kobe THOUGHT it was consentual, but it probably wasn't. Just because she came to you room, doesn't mean she wants to have sex with you!
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Return to The Nifelheim Justice League