Criminal Athletes

From the world's stupidest criminals to the hottest court cases, you will find something interesting to ponder here.

Criminal Athletes

Postby Nyufrost » Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:59 am

Every day when I look at the news headlines, I see several stories about professional athletes being charged with crimes from assault to murder.

Rather than talk about each story individually, here are some of today's criminal athletes in the news:

PRO BASKETBALL PLAYER is arrested after fighting a female police officer who was trying to get him to step back from a cab he sort of tried to hijack.

PRO BASKETBALL PLAYER suspended after umteenth drug arrest.

PRO FOOTBALL PLAYER gets 15 years for burglary.

BOXER MIKE TYSON gets court date for latest assault arrest.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:13 am

i was recently reading about some all star nba basket ball player (i want to say it was the guy who does the sprite commercials, but i dunno, hehe) who was arrested for beating his wife. he had his bail set at $25,000 dollars, which he paid immediatly... which got me thinking... shouldn't bails be set at a percentage of someone's networth? a $25,000 bail for someone who's a multi-millionaire is like asking most normal people to give up a penny... and sure... i'd do it without a thought, heh. and for a poor person to have a $25,000 bail... they might as well skip the formalities and give him a life sentance, right then and there.

i think that's totally unfair, but whatever. i also kinda think this is unrelated to the topic, hehe, but... since no one is discussing the topic at hand, maybe they'll discuss this one :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:36 am

I agree ... with both ideas. :p

Setting bail at net worth is an excellent idea. That way, no one could say they were being discriminated against one way or the other.

Setting it too high makes it impossible for low income people to get out and --like you said-- it's like a drop in the bucket to these rich athletes so it kind if makes it seem like it's "okay" for them to commit crimes.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Neerowolf » Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:30 pm

you see? Only basketball, football, and boxing.....players commit crimes. soccer players are the greatest, plus those are my least favorite sports.
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby Icegaze » Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:42 pm

I'm not surprised at Mike Tyson. That dudes been teetering on the brink of insanity forever. I mean, he's gotten his boxing liscence taken away multiple times and he bit Evander Holifield's ear off!
Icegaze
Castle Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:18 am

True ... and if he was not a popular athlete he probably would have the "3 strikes" law working against him by now.

This week's latest athletes in the crime news ....

PRO BASKETBALL STAR fined and sentenced for not paying child support.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYER pleads no contest to beating up his girlfriend

NFL TOP DRAFT PICK exchanges community service for resisting arrest charges

COLLGE FOOTBALL PLAYER suspended after arrest for possession of marijuana and driving under the influence
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Nyufrost » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:46 am

This week's bad boy athletes ....

FORMER BASEBALL STAR Jose Canseco may face a prison sentence after steroids were found in his system when he assaulted a man in a nightclub.

PRO BASKETBALL PLAYER won't be charged for assaulting a fan during a game.

PRO BASKETBALL PLAYER faces charges of carrying a concealed weapon and driving without a license after a routine traffic stop.

EX-PRO BASKETBALL PLAYER arrested for drunk driving after crashing and rolling his vehicle.
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Nyufrost » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:03 am

A couple more to add to the list ....

PRO BASKETBALL PLAYER found guilty of domestic violence after assaulting his girlfriend.

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYER Ramon Castro is charged with raping a woman in his hotel room. He is charged with not only rape but also involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, sexual assault and unlawful restraint. He is free after posting a $25,000 bond.

Castro released a statement saying, "I want to apologize to the organization, my family and my teammates for what happened. In spite of everything, I'm innocent."
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Return to The Nifelheim Justice League